I need help with cloning my Macbook Pro with Stellar Drive Clone...

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to clone my Macbook Pro (Late 2011) on a new Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB with a Seagate Thunderbolt adapter using Stellar Drive Clone. I want to put the new Samsung SSD in my Macbook when it is cloned.

I never cloned before and do not know much about these things, I hope someone can explain to me how to do it step by step.

I placed the new Samsung SSD in the Seagate adapter and opened Stellar Drive Clone. I chose 'Disk Clone' and then 'Clone with resizing'.
I think I need to select this option (with resizing) because the Samsung SSD is bigger(1TB) than what is in my Macbook HD(500GB). I want to make full use of the 1TB in the new Samsung SSD.

The Stellar Drive Clone manual says this about it:

Clone without Resizing:

-‘If the target drive is of same size as the source drive, or of size greater than the source drive but the extra space is not needed than cloning can be performed without resizing the volumes of destination drive’.

-‘By default, the source drive will clone to the destination drive without any changes. If the destination drive is larger than the source drive, you can resize the destination drive volume to make full use of it’.

-‘Clone with Resizing:
When the target drive is of size greater than the source drive then the extra space left after cloning will become useless. To make use of the extra space, Clone with resizing feature of Stellar Drive Clone can be used to distribute the space among other volumes.’

I wanted to start cloning but I am not sure what I have to do, I made two screenshots:

On this screenshot I see 'Select Source' which is my Macbook HD Size: 465.76 GB and 'Select Destination' which is the new Samsung SSD Size: 953.86 GB

Schermafbeeld2014-09-25om223850.png

Then I click Continue and see this:

Schermafbeelding2014-09-25om223911.png

Should I select Macintosh HD and drag the slider all the way to the right and 'Enter new Size' to the maximum? And do not change the 619 MB Recovery HD?

I want to clone my entire HD on my new SSD and use the remaining space that is left after cloning because the new SSD is 1TB.

After I unboxed the new Samsung SSD I immediately tried Stellar Drive Clone. I do not need to do something with the SSD before cloning it?

I hope you understand my questions because I am from the Netherlands.

Regards,

Deb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you have two Samsung SSDs as shown in pic one or are you wishing to clone the 465GB drive to the SSD? if so do not choose resize as it will take it easy being twice the size. If it were the other way around then you would need to resize.

And you do need to format the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Connect it up, go into Disk Utility, select, and run Erase opting for that format. Then into Partition > Options and make sure GUID is selected.

OP
C
Reaction score
Do you have two Samsung SSDs as shown in pic one or are you wishing to clone the 465GB drive to the SSD? if so do not choose resize as it will take it easy being twice the size. If it were the other way around then you would need to resize.

And you do need to format the SSD to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Connect it up, go into Disk Utility, select, and run Erase opting for that format. Then into Partition > Options and make sure GUID is selected.

Thanks for your reply. I will format the SSD before I clone it in Stellar.

I wish to clone the 465GB Macintosh HD drive to the SSD (953.86GB).
So I do not choose resize then? What will happen with the remaining 488GB which is left unused after the cloning process?
I want to make use of the extra space of the new SSD...

It is confusing to me because in the Stellar manual it says:

-‘Clone with Resizing:
When the target drive is of size greater than the source drive then the extra space left after cloning will become useless. To make use of the extra space, Clone with resizing feature of Stellar Drive Clone can be used to distribute the space among other volumes.’

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Personally, I would not use the Stellar Drive Clone software. It sounds like it's a bit flaky in my opinion. I use the tried and tested Carbon Copy Cloner from Bombich Software. That's what I recommend you use too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.