I need help, what is wrong with this Powerbook G4!!!

Reaction score
I need help, what is wrong with this Powerbook G4!!! (Pictures)

Ok, so I just bought a Powerbook, hoping to repair it and resell it, and before it arrives I would like to identify the problem with it. It is a Powerbook G4 Titanium A1025. I cannot decipher whether it is a broken screen bezel or a broken hinge (or, god forbid, both). So, can anyone help???

Powerbook G4 Titanium
-15 Inch display
-60GB HDD
-1GB Memory
-1Ghz PowerPC G4

These are all of the pictures I have available, the most helpful one is the first:

4347864038_095982f63b_b.jpg

4347863184_59552558e4_b.jpg

4347862822_3abb62f1e0_b.jpg

4347115791_fe85e33de8_b.jpg

4347116107_3605eae266_b.jpg

thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pictures aren't working.

- Nick

Reaction score
Holy Apple..someone drop this thing?

It looks like a hinge (the right hinge has something yellow- I'm assuming wires) though that could be anything (if I'm not mistaken, that could also be the power port LOL).

Other than that, there's not much that I can tell about what's wrong with it, other than the cosmetic damage (such as that mouse pad).

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the "yellow thing" is the cord plugged into the power port. I got it for a good price but I am told that it was fallen on. Does anyone know how to go about replacing the hinge? I do know that the computer works when it is plugged into an external monitor. The screen on the computer will power on, but it will not display the desktop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The first picture is pretty good (rear view)...but I think a couple more photos of that hinge from different angles would help to determine the amount of damage...especially a top view.

A rear view & top view photo (lid closed) as close as possible would help.

The trackpad button doesn't look very "happy" either.:(

- Nick

C

chas_m

must ... be ... diplomatic ...

The machine you're showing there is, as you probably know, pretty old. In mint condition it's worth maybe $350US. In its present condition I personally wouldn't have paid $10 for it.

Those hinges are very badly damaged and must be entirely replaced, which is quite a job. Here's a company that sells the part and tools you need. I think you'll see just from this where I'm going here ...

The trackpad is part of the top case, so you're probably going to need to source and replace that as well.

As you say this has been "fallen on" I'd suspect the logic board or the screen is in bad shape too.

I wish you a lot of luck with this project ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hmmmm... I think you'd make more selling it for parts, or at least whats left of the parts!

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah, I do know that it is very old, but I need a project and because it powers on and there is nothing wrong with the keyboard or trackpad (besides the click button being dinged up) I would say that all of the internal components are fine (logic board, memory, hard drive). But just to be sure, nobody thinks the lcd/lcd bezel will need to be replaced, just the hinge, I have not actually used this model before and I don't have anymore pictures available at this time so I have a hard time figuring out exactly what is broken as far as the backside of the laptop shows.

OP
J
Reaction score
By the way, I paid $177 for it. Is that a good deal, it seemed that some were going for a lot more (on eBay).

My goal here is to make $100 dollars profit (this includes the total original cost plus what it costs to repair, does anyone think I can do this, or am I being too optimistic.:)

OP
J
Reaction score
I pulled this off of the eBay listing.

*Please see added photos. I pulled up the laptop using Remote Desktop on my larger iMac. You can see it boots up perfectly, the image just does not show up on the laptop screen, even though the screen does light up. I'm guessing a faulty connection.

(added 2/08/10) I also have the original box which I will ship it in and original manuals, sheets and stickers that came with it.

The PowerBook and screen (outside of the screen detachment) is in perfect working condition. There is nothing wrong with the internal components of this laptop. One day it was working fine, the next day my 6 year old daughter fell toward it and snapped the cover. The sale includes the PowerBook, Power cord, Install discs, Battery (still holds hours of charge), RAM, 60MB Hard drive and all internal parts. There is nothing missing or excluded. I am only selling because the hinges snapped from the cover during the accident. The screen has no missing or damaged pixels, however there is an aesthetic blemish on the screen a little over an inch and the thumb button on the touch pad is dinged (still works great though - see pictures).
Because of the loose condition of the hinges and screen, I must claim no responsibility for it's operation after shipment.
I will have the sticker off the outside cover before it ships.
If you have any questions, please email. I will do whatever I can to package it safely and securely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, well since I don't have pictures of the problem from every angle I could not tell exactly what is broken.

Also, on ebay I bought a click button to replace the dinked-up one, but I am not sure how to replace, a google search didn't help, although I think I might have to replace the whole top case (although I don't think I'd put the money in it).

You would think that Apple would have made a way just to replace the button without replacing the whole top case. Who knows???

Anyway, thanks for your answers everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
That is the go and trust as you say it was not too dear .. like $50 or so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
I would go to iFixit: Apple Mac, MacBook, iPod, and iPhone Repair Parts and take a look at their repair guide for your computer. I think you probably will break even if you fix this computer (thats if you sell it on your local craigslist; they'll pay exorbitantly for macs on craigslist), based on this assumption: you may choose topay about $199 for the case part that includes the trackpad button, (but that's not necessary i guess), but you will *have* to buy the entire display assembly because the hinges are smaller, separate pieces unlike the newer powerbooks which have the whole back as the hinge, so based on your pics, the trim around the screen is broken, and it isnt a separately replaceable part. That part costs $249 from ifixit.com. www.ifixit.com is probably one of the most reputable sites on the net; cheap isnt always better. If spending all that money seems too risky for you, sell the whole thing for parts.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I will take it apart and sell all of the parts separately (logic board, memory, hard drive, CD/DVD drive, etc.). People will pay exorbitantly high prices for some of this stuff (even though it is outdated).

Ok, thanks for the help everyone, this site is very helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.