• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I miss Windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
There is one thing about the Mac that is great, and that is the ability to boot (from cold) and be surfing on the net within 15 seconds.

I never mind booting up (I never leave any of my machines on standby) if someone wants to check email quickly, or check something on the net etc....

Before, it was a chore to boot up just for the sake of a couple of minutes..Windows would take ages to load, and then try updating while loading, and you could not click on anything until it had stopped, because that would make it take longer (I am talking a 3Ghz P4 well maintained PC system.)

It is really strange, but everytime I go on a Windows sytem now, I get an error of some sort, or find myself waiting and waiting for the app I have clicked on to load.

It seems so sluggish compared to OSX - I am used to the speed of things now, and I really do not like using Windows for that very reason.

I have built many systems, and fixed even more, but I just cannot be bothered when I get an error in Windows or it runs slow etc anymore - does anyone else find this?

People keep asking me to build a system for them and I just cannot be bothered - I have told people I do not want to fix them anymore either - I have someone's system here that I have had for three months now, and I just don't want to do it.

You get used to things working, and the speed of OSX - OSX has made me very lazy where Windows is concerned!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
There is one thing about the Mac that is great, and that is the ability to boot (from cold) and be surfing on the net within 15 seconds.

I never mind booting up (I never leave any of my machines on standby) if someone wants to check email quickly, or check something on the net etc....

Before, it was a chore to boot up just for the sake of a couple of minutes..Windows would take ages to load, and then try updating while loading, and you could not click on anything until it had stopped, because that would make it take longer (I am talking a 3Ghz P4 well maintained PC system.)

It is really strange, but everytime I go on a Windows sytem now, I get an error of some sort, or find myself waiting and waiting for the app I have clicked on to load.

It seems so sluggish compared to OSX - I am used to the speed of things now, and I really do not like using Windows for that very reason.

I have built many systems, and fixed even more, but I just cannot be bothered when I get an error in Windows or it runs slow etc anymore - does anyone else find this?

People keep asking me to build a system for them and I just cannot be bothered - I have told people I do not want to fix them anymore either - I have someone's system here that I have had for three months now, and I just don't want to do it.

You get used to things working, and the speed of OSX - OSX has made me very lazy where Windows is concerned!

I'll just say this: Ditto.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Man, I feel ya.

After I did everything zoolook did then you could spend some time on blackviper's site, as surely there are some more services I don't need running. Or maybe if I bump up the wattage a hair I could tweak another .1-.2 Ghz out of my CPU. Or how about that new CPU cooler, bet I could get another .2 Ghz if I got it and lapped it to a mirror shine. Haven't been in the registry for a couple months, bet there's something in there I could tweak some more.

Now all I do is read through this forum half the time, checkin out if I can help somewhere, but, nope, just feel kinda useless like most newbs I guess.
Got a couple of big ol' books on OS X I could read, but, everything seems to be working, so I'll pass on that for now. Dunno, think this MBP is makin me lazy.

Reaction score
I miss Windows too.

Here in my padded cell there's nothing to look out of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)
I have so much more time on my hands now and spend a lot less time on the computer as a result. I can now watch more TV, go out more often, get work done quicker and spend more time with my fiance and family.

Every time I seem to boot up Windows now it always asks me to update everything and recommends scans and everything. Plus because I spend more time on my Mac I forget to update my computer, so like 2 weeks later I turn on my Windows PC and I am over run with updates. When I went on holiday for 2 weeks without my Mac I just had one update when I came back, which was a routine OS X update.

Just think, if OS X completely replaced Windows most computer techies and computer administrators would be left jobless. I seen somewhere that a large network used to have like 4 full-time people looking after the network running Windows, after changing to Mac they only had 1 full-time employee maintaining the network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G3 Pismo 500
I regret only that I cannot buy a decent desktop Mac... I have an old Pismo, but it is just not enough for my work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Indeed! To put this in context, I am rebuilding a vintage 486 DX-33 PC right now, just for fun. I enjoy tinkering with hardware and software and Macs are pretty "tinker free" - they just work. I guess I am getting restless!

But I digress. To your point - I spent hours, and hours last night tracking down what turned out to be a DMA channel conflict between two bits of hardware/software on this PC I am rebuilding, as I struggled to get a SCSI adapter to install properly. Boy, DOS/Windows of the time (1992 or so) was not for the faint of heart. No help whatsoever, just boots that wouldn't boot - just hang up and stop, no error messages, or seemingly unrelated errors from other parts of the system.

Now the sad part - it was FUN! A great exercise in deductive thinking, and ultimately, the thrill of victory! (...yes, I got it working after much tinkering with good 'ol config.sys, autoexec.bat and the SCSI card's config utility).

Macs are so... easy! They are a great machine to simply get on with it and get things done. For my inner geek, I guess I need more "challenging" environments - perhaps that is why I like Linux too!

I think I should co-opt MHC's name, but drop the "M" - I am just a Head Case! :dive:

Sigh. It's true, I miss Windows.

I was on my Mac last night, had sent my emails, checked my blog, updated my calendar and with a single mouse click synched my Mac address book and Calendar with my Sony Ericsson K750i... now what?

In the good old days of Windows, the fun was just starting. I could download version 75.6.6.3.8 of my graphics drivers, there were virus definitions to update, firewall tweaks to be made, I could check my ports for intruders, run Windows Defender and kill spyware, defrag the HDD, run Windows update and do a reboot to eek a little extra performance out of the box. I felt like my computer needed me as much as I needed it. I felt like I was important.

Now... my Mac just sits there, working perfectly. It doesn't need me. It just works... all the time. Never needs rebooting, updates itself, never asks for new drivers, doesn't need defragging. I feel so useless, completely unwanted. All I can do is use it. I miss Windows... :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I hated windows with a passion...
format every 6 months because it was so slow
£40 for anti virus & firewall
Virus's on just about every download or adware
having to install drivers etc etc

things i miss
greater choice of mp3 players i.e sony because sonic stage doesnt work on mac
webcam on msn ^_^ have to use amsn now
gaming - had really good graphics card for the time

I might however build another pc just for gaming, only thing a pc does better than a mac, not because the macs hardware isnt good, far from it. The games arnt there that i want or i cant be bothered to buy them again.

Reaction score
Walt Mossberg tells of a nightmare trip through an adman's fantasy land of spam by a different name littering a brand-new out-of-the-box Vaio running Vista, including four full-length "hit" movies demanding cash and that hogged four gigabytes of drive space, and all the pitches for anti-virus and anti-spyware apps.
I also was shocked at how long this machine took to restart and to do a cold start after being completely shut down. Restarting took over three minutes, and a cold start took more than two minutes. That suggests the computer is loading a bunch of stuff I neither know about nor want. By contrast, a brand new Apple MacBook laptop, under the same test conditions, restarted in 34 seconds and did a cold start in 29 seconds.
What a brave old world Windows is.

Reaction score
I miss Windows all the time!

I usually just find something bigger to throw at it. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
lol good one cherokee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

I was on my Mac last night, had sent my emails, checked my blog, updated my calendar and with a single mouse click synched my Mac address book and Calendar with my Sony Ericsson K750i... now what?

In the good old days of Windows, the fun was just starting. I could download version 75.6.6.3.8 of my graphics drivers, there were virus definitions to update, firewall tweaks to be made, I could check my ports for intruders, run Windows Defender and kill spyware, defrag the HDD, run Windows update and do a reboot to eek a little extra performance out of the box. I felt like my computer needed me as much as I needed it. I felt like I was important.

Now... my Mac just sits there, working perfectly. It doesn't need me. It just works... all the time. Never needs rebooting, updates itself, never asks for new drivers, doesn't need defragging. I feel so useless, completely unwanted. All I can do is use it. I miss Windows... :eek:neye:

but if you think about it. you dont want to be sat at the computer all day and night especially after working all day then having to 'repair' the windows computer. wouldnt you rather sit outside with a beer or some sort of alcoholic drink and relax ? lol

:bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
True. But thats why I think my dad should switch to a Mac. He has a desktop and a laptop. He usually only uses the laptop, so if the desktop breaks, he never gets around to fixing it. If he had a nice mac sitting on that fancy desk however....

He would never make the switch. He won't even touch my computers... But my mom finally wants to learn how to use a computer, just for email and stuff. Im gonna get her an iMac G3, since all she wants to do is email and internet.

OP
Zoolook
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
but if you think about it. you dont want to be sat at the computer all day and night especially after working all day then having to 'repair' the windows computer. wouldnt you rather sit outside with a beer or some sort of alcoholic drink and relax ? lol

:bomb:

'tis true, I would.

I think most people got it, but the original post was tinged with just a hint of sarcasm. I used to enjoy fiddling with my computers all the while, but don't have time now, which is one of the main reasons I switched.

Reaction score
Walt Mossberg tells of a nightmare trip through an adman's fantasy land of spam by a different name littering a brand-new out-of-the-box Vaio running Vista, including four full-length "hit" movies demanding cash and that hogged four gigabytes of drive space, and all the pitches for anti-virus and anti-spyware apps.What a brave old world Windows is.

Hahahaha...Too true!

Any new "windows" based PC (unless it's from Asus), will completely inundate the user with a bunch of useless crap. Unfortunately, the only way to rid all of the preloaded garbage is to reformat loading a fresh copy of the OS.

I remember vividly that even after reloading, even before you contemplated on going on the net, it would take hours of hunting down drivers, loading firewalls, anti-virus programs, anti-spyware, and countless security updates. One time, I had forgotten to update all the security measures, and contracted some kind of virus through an open port within 5 seconds!

However, PCs are fine if you leave them off the net. It's actually pretty safe when isolated and quarantined!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I ask you this, how am I supposed to go make up cup coffee while the computer boots up now? Windows was great for coffee, push the power button and go and make a coffee. When I got back it would almost be time for working.....Could Apple build a make coffee time into Leopard please......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in Mac-Book, 24in imac, 15in G4 iMac, 12in PowerBook, G3 iMac, G3 PPC, G3 iBook, and a 'Newton'

Hope you don't mind but I stole your post and put in on my site as there are a lot of ' none believers over there:spook:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.