i have to restart to get the sound back o

Reaction score
I have an I.Mac running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 after a while i lose the sound and have to restart to get it back on have you any sugestons.
thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
May or may not work. Try updating the OS to 10.6.8.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
No sound

Hi Nick. Thanks for the reply i am allready on 10.6.8 I have gone on to software update all it found was a printer update. would it do any good to download a newer operating system if so what would you recommend.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick the box that the Snow Leopard came in states 10.6.3. I purchasted this from the Apple store.
When i click on about this M.mac it states 10.6.8 which one is correct

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
About This Mac should show you the correct version. It sounds like you purchased 10.6.3 and at some point updated to 10,6,8. This was probably done through Software Update. Usually a painless process so you might have forgotten about it.

Is there a pattern towhead is going on when the sound stops?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Sorry autocorrect went berserk and I didn't notice.

What I meant was is there any pattern to when you loose sound? Same apps open, performing certain tasks etc?

OP
S
Reaction score
All I have running is Mail, Safari, Finder. Adobe reader 7.1.0 and Installer always seem to be on I am in my late seventys and i can not remember if i have done something to cause this but its been happening for quite a long time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick the box that the Snow Leopard came in states 10.6.3. I purchasted this from the Apple store.
When i click on about this M.mac it states 10.6.8 which one is correct

10.6.8. is what's correct. I'm sure 10.6.3 (from the disk) was installed a while ago…then at some point you updated to 10.6.8. What the "box" says is not important…what the "About this Mac" says is what's important (most up to date).

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but i think i shall have to find an Apple I.Mac repairer in the UK and see if they can sort out the problem for me

OP
S
Reaction score
sorry for the late reply not been to well can not find a reputable apple repairer in the UK so will have to put up with the problem.
Thanks all for your help.
Brian

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow…great to hear from you again after so long!:) Sorry to hear that the problem still remains.

If the sound comes back after restarting. Sounds to me;)...like a software more than a hardware issue. Maybe give this a try. Download & install the free maintenance app called "Onyx" (make sure you download the version for Snow Leopard…if you still have OS 10.6.8 installed). Click on the "automation" button…and let Onyx do it's "thing".

Please let us know if this helps.

- Nick

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
All I have running is Mail, Safari, Finder. Adobe reader 7.1.0 and Installer always seem to be on

Hi springlea,

I'm not saying that this will solve your problem, but your comments quoted above might suggest that some apps are opening themselves because they are listed as login items.

In order to be in complete control of what apps are running, you can do the following - I'll give it to you stage by stage:

Open system preferences - you can do this by clicking on the Apple icon at the very top of your window, top LEFT. Immediately below "About this Mac", click on System Preferences
Now click on users and groups (probably second bottom, far left)
Now click on Login Items
On your right, you will see a list of those apps which open every time you restart your Mac
My suggestion is that you remove them all
To do this; first click on the padlock, bottom left; enter your admin password to open it
Now click on the first item shown on the right; now click on the minus sign - it will disappear
Repeat this procedure for each item, one at a time - click to highlight, then minus sign - till all are removed. That's it. Close out of there.

What you have done is ensure that when you restart your Mac, no specific apps open automatically. Maybe, just maybe, one of them was messing with your system. It can do no harm and might solve your problem.

Just my thoughts. And please forgive me if the process is well known to you already. I mean no offence, just wanted to guide you through the stages.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.