I have a Virus and I can't get rid of it! Please help!

Reaction score
So I'm using a Mac Mini (2011), and I recently encountered an issue. I use Google Chrome, but when I search using the URL bar, it takes me to Yahoo. I'm aware I have some kind of browser redirect virus of SOME kind... In my default browsers, it says I have Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, and Google. All but the latter are not browsers I use. And when I delete them from Chrome's defaults, they pop back up when I close and reopen Chrome.

I've tried literally everything, and spent hours last night and this morning doing everything possible to remove them. They're not in my extensions, and I even removed them from Safari (which it was infecting, too). Safari no longer has them it seems, since it no longer redirects me, but Chrome is like... Permanently stuck this way?? I've even completely wiped Chrome from my computer and re-downloaded it, but the problem persists. I know I have something on my computer, because I ran virus scans with both Combo Cleaner and TotalAV and it found 9 (I was able to manually locate and delete most of them. But the Browser Hijacker I can't, as well two others). I'm very tight on money right now, and the both anti-viruses only allow the ability to clear viruses if I buy the premium- which is unfortunate for anyone currently unemployed...

It seems like no matter WHAT I do, I can't fix the issue, and I'm very worried. Someone please help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It sounds like you have indeed gotten some kind of browser redirect malware.

When you suggest that you have tried everything please be a bit more specific about what you have tried. I'm not trying to be obnoxious about this but there is little point suggesting things you've already done other than to rule out the possibility of skipping a step.

At this point I wouldn't suggest buying any of the anti virus programs. Most of them don't deal with browser redirects well. Especially on the Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I use Google Chrome, but when I search using the URL bar, it takes me to Yahoo. I'm aware I have some kind of browser redirect virus of SOME kind... In my default browsers, it says I have Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yahoo, and Google. All but the latter are not browsers I use. And when I delete them from Chrome's defaults, they pop back up when I close and reopen Chrome.

This is called a "search engine redirect hijacker". Here's a Youtube video that describes how to remove it. Don't pay any attention to the sales pitch for the app called "Combo Cleaner". Continue with the video until it gets to the part about removing things manually for Chrome.

YouTube

Please let us know if it works...as this may help others with the same issue.

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
This is called a "search engine redirect hijacker". Here's a Youtube video that describes how to remove it. Don't pay any attention to the sales pitch for the app called "Combo Cleaner". Continue with the video until it gets to the part about removing things manually for Chrome.

YouTube

Please let us know if it works...as this may help others with the same issue.

Thanks,

- Nick

Thank you! I actually tried going into "More Tools" and "Extensions", and there's nothing new there. And right now Google is set as my default. But even with that, if I use the URL search at the top of the browser, it still redirects to Yahoo for some reason. And as soon as I close out Chrome, the problems repeats. Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Yahoo will be listed under my defaults again. So I've tried everything in this video already. I appreciate the help though!

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you! I actually tried going into "More Tools" and "Extensions", and there's nothing new there. And right now Google is set as my default. But even with that, if I use the URL search at the top of the browser, it still redirects to Yahoo for some reason. And as soon as I close out Chrome, the problems repeats. Bing, DuckDuckGo, and Yahoo will be listed under my defaults again. So I've tried everything in this video already. I appreciate the help though!

AH! I found the issue! Thanks to this guide, I was able to ultimately solve the problem!
Remove Adware, Pop-ups & Malware from Mac (Virus Removal Guide)
Thank goodness. Thank you for your assistance, hopefully this link here will help anyone else who has trouble with what I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thank you for your assistance, hopefully this link here will help anyone else who has trouble with what I did.

I would suggest you download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:
Malwarebytes Premium | Malware Protection

No need to purchase it, it will still work in its free mode.

PS: Welcome to mac-forums.com

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
You can also give DetectX Swift a try. I find it better than Malwarebytes these days.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Which of the things on that page was it?

I guess we will never know what the actual cause was, but it helps to know that the guide process and/or Malwarebytes (Free) were able to fix the problem.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.