I have a new 27" 2013 iMac just purchased, and trying to use migration assistant from

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 14.2.1; iPhone 11; iPad Air, iPad Pro
I have a new 27" 2013 iMac just purchased, and trying to use migration assistant from my mid 2010 27" iMac. Using ethernet cable, and gets to the point of the numbers, which show on both screens, and then quits on new machine. I have done twice. Both are running 10.10.1, same OS; I made sure of that. I have now restarted. What can I do now?

Tried again after the restart, and still no luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Studio, 32gb RAM, BenQ 270C Monitor, OS X 14.1.2
I had to get an Apple Advisor to talk me through it, in my case the source was an external backup drive.

But beware. In my case at least, not everything came over and there were no error messages warning me of that. Some gaps were obvious, e.g., the Mail mailbox tree structure came over but none of the messages. It took a Senior Advisor to fix that and it took him awhile. Software that is not compatible with Yosemite did not migrate but that is to be expected I guess. But here is the killer. Yesterday afternoon I was looking for a pdf file and could not locate it anywhere. Fortunately I still had the old iMac and found it there.

I then compared the folder in the two iMacs and found that a couple of pdf files had not been transferred. Important files. That scared me so I spent the next few hours going folder by folder through Documents. In many cases the files were there but with a slightly different size, e.g., 130k on the new and 135k on the old. But they seem to be ok otherwise.

BUT, there were four complete folders that did not make it over plus about 15 other files. Very scary and I hope I didn't miss anything.

If there is a pattern I cannot figure it out except that the file types are all either pdf, Excel or Word. Some are old and some fairly recent. But all created before Migration was used. But many hundreds of similar type files came over fine.

I have no advice except to be careful and check that your important stuff makes it over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.