I hate IE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
Grrr. IE6 is NOT my friend at the moment! Why can't it do things properly :S

How do you all get round it's floors? I'm stuggling at the moment with a bg image that seems to be displayed differently by IE (although I have no idea how as it is a set size.)

Any ideas?

Ad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standard Black MacBook
Yeah, that's the biggest problem with IE, it can't follow W3C standards. The best thing to do validate your code and then fix whatever it tells you to fix. After that, just keep previewing your pages in Firefox or Safari and forget about it. The good thing is that more and more people are moving to Firefox so hopefully IE will become obsolete, but I don't see that happening too soon.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sadly I can't just forget about it as it's my business site.. my IE6 customers have to be able to see an acceptable site. I'm just doing an different css for ie.. joy :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I don't even worry about IE - they'll never be standards compliant, unless they're MS standards.
Worry about Firefox, Safari, Opera - other browsers that DO adhere to some level of standards...
But that's just IMNSHO.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
as mentioned I can't forget about IE :(

I don't have an issues with the other browsers, eveything works fine lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
as mentioned I can't forget about IE :(

I don't have an issues with the other browsers, eveything works fine lol

You are doing the correct thing with the CSS pages. Unfortunately with business sites you can't (or at least shouldn't) ignore any large portion of the market, especially IE. There are number of tricks that you can find online for making it all work, but having separate files is probably the most straightforward way.

The other option is to try and avoid any code that doesn't work well in all browsers, but um... yeah, that's really not much of a solution since there are so many problems. =)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
As long as there is Windows they'll be IE - we just have to accept that. Even though Firefox is gaining popularity it will never wipe IE out. You can never forget about IE no matter how much you don't like it.

I hate it too though and have been cursing it ever since I started doing pure CSS layouts. Overall, IE 6 is still the most widely used browser. IE 7 is not nearly as bad. I've found a valid XHTML / pure CSS layout will display fine on IE 7, Opera, Safari, Firefox and Konqueror 99% of the time. IE 6 and earlier seems to hate CSS layouts. Once you learn the fundamental points at which IE 6 gets it wrong you can get it to display right without using hack (I refuse to use hacks).

Have you got any problem in particular with your site? Does your code validate? A lot of them are easily fixed. I find the biggest problem is you get extra padding in IE 6 on floated divs. It's easily fixed though - let me know what problems your having and maybe I can help.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Quincy.

I agree with your comments. I had some PNG issues which have been resolved now and that is fine and one page is now disaplying correctly accross all the browsers. Although I have noticed the PC firefox and opera display slightly differently to MAC firefox and opera. I think this is down to line height rendering.

My problem now I think is padding. I am skinning some software which uses tables and divs. All displays fine in everything except IE6 and IE7 where the left margin of each td is right over and out of it's td so not displayed. I think that will be recitified with some tinkering.

Like you say once you have the fundamentals you are nomally good to go!

Thanks for your help

AD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I don't even worry about IE - they'll never be standards compliant, unless they're MS standards.
Worry about Firefox, Safari, Opera - other browsers that DO adhere to some level of standards...
But that's just IMNSHO.

Thats like... a car company building cars with train wheels, because its better and the world will move over to it. But the world is paved, not railed.
No dude, the world runs on IE. You cannot simply not worry about IE. Unless you want to not worry about your company going under.

It may take me 4 hours to build something really fancy in Firefox. But another 8 to make it work properly in IE.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may take me 4 hours to build something really fancy in Firefox. But another 8 to make it work properly in IE.

Lol now that sounds right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
haha, as a web devlepor, the comments about "foget IE" made me laugh. On our site IE use makes up 80% of our users browsers with FF trailing in second at 8% and Safari at 3.4%

Yeah, forget about IE! Nobody will miss it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh that's why I've polited ignored them ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.