I did it! Virtual Box and Windows 10 on my MBPro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay if you read my other post on my journey to install Virtual Box and Windows 10 on my MBPro, you will see I had quite a learning experience.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/321434-reinstalled-mbpro-no-idea-what-i-did.html

So after finally getting my MBPro back on her "feet", I reinstalled VirtualBox and installed Windows 10 tech preview. It took several attempts. The install locked up. I forgot to pick Windows 8.1 64bit. I could not figure out how to tell the install where the iso file was... anyway I finally have it running.

And what have I learned from this? How to reinstall Yosemite over the internet and that evidently if you have a time machine backup on a time capsule it will reinstall all your stuff up to the last backup. Evidently without user interaction.

I also know how to install VirtualBox and Windows 10 ... and uninstall both cleanly now.

Just thought I would share.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well done Lisa. You will be our resident VB Windows 10 expert now.

As I say to my Pembroke Corgi often "Whose a clever girl then!"

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love Pembroke Corgis. In a former life I showed dogs - basenjis. I love dogs in about all forms. The one in your picture looks like a very beautiful girl.

As to expert... not really but I have learned alot!

Lisa

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I forgot to pick Windows 8.1 64bit.
Is that the magic trick? I fought with VBox and Parallels with no success - blue screens or failures during install on both.

Reaction score
for older mac pro's you have to go into settings select the system icon then select the Enable I/O APIC if you don't you will receive a error on startup saying the o.s cannot be installed upgrade your processor to continue garbage.

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is what ended up working for me. I had to select 8.1 64-bit (I was using the Windows 10 64-bit install iso) It took a couple of tries. I had to save and restart it twice but it finally came up and installed. I did not have to put in a product code. It just shows as activated which to me seems like a no-brainer for a Tech preview that will expire.

I did download the latest W10 tech preview 64-bit as of Thursday. I allotted 4GB of memory - I have 16GB to play with and defaulted to the variable up to 25GB size hard drive.

No other special tricks just kept trying.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
Great Job Lisa :) May try windows 10 on my other Laptop If i get time going to download the preview now, the only problem i can think of is drivers :)

OP
lclev
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have installed the first W10 preview on an HP desktop and now the latest on my Macbook Pro in Virtual Box. I have had no issues with drivers. It seems that Microsoft has included drivers for just about any install or it will download them as needed. The HP originally had video driver issues - the screen did not fill the whole monitor size. The update icon popped up and I installed it which fixed the screen issue.

One thing about the technical preview is there will be updates that will fix things and also mess things up. The last couple have been better at the not messing things up part. It is fun to play with and I do click on the Windows feedback to input anything I see as an issue or potential change. I have been surprised to see that the issues I have addressed seem to be getting fixed.

Give it a try. I used this website to help guide me through the virtual box install:

How to Install the Windows 10 Technical Preview Right Now

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 2G 8GB, 3X iPhone 4 8GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPod Touch 4G 16GB, iPhone 7 256GB, iPad 2, iPad Air
Yeah I remember the issues with the driver issues with the hp downloading it now getting about 10mbps :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Maybe vansmith a sticky would be the go?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.