I am proud new owner of MBA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
i had been in this forum a few months back inquiring about macbooks....but could not remember my user id nor password so had to set up new one.

i finally purchased and have booted and set up myself. need help with few things.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Welcome back, lori . . . Congratulations on your purchase and here comes the fun. Let us know the "particulars" of your new MBA and fire away with any questions/concerns you may have. Did you spring for Apple Care?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thankyou for replying.
no i did not spring for apple care...i presume you meant support.

i have 90 days of support tho not sure when that starts.
from date i ordered it or date i received it from retailer.

i tried to find email contact with apple but could not find one easy
I so enjoy chatting with people on this site and i like to have things in writing to help my memory.

i have several questions and will deal with one at a time....
i set up MBA on my own and not sure if I did ALL correctly.

1. Selecting country...wanted to select Canada but would not take so ended up taking US.......can this be changed? And what is the difference between those options? anything to do with US holidays on calendar?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i had been in this forum a few months back inquiring about macbooks....but could not remember my user id nor password so had to set up new one.

And you were banned for starting a second account. Only one account is allowed.

Edit: Your account has been reinstated.

Last edited:
OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thankyou

many thanks chscag for re instating my account.

i hope this does not put me in 'bad' books with rest of participants on this site as my mistake was an honest one.

i hope to be connecting with others soon as I have lots of questions where I need help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's OK. You made an honest mistake, but please write down your user name and password so you won't forget them again. :)

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I have made note of it.
thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes I have made note of it.
thanks again

Keychain Access.app can be very useful and handy for such things. But I'm sure you knew that already. ;)

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes thank you. i have read about it. tho also read where one user could not access it successfully.

i had been using a word document (protected) for all my passwords and many other account numbers, passwords etc. that has been very easy to work with.

I know MAC will open word docs.......my question is, will the passwrod protection still be there, if I try to open in MAC?
if not, i will see if I can do the same thing using Mac features (if they have something similar) .that is...password protect one file.

silly me, i guess i can just try it. however, i am still in training on MBA and use windows desktop for various tasks.

I will look into the keychain features before I actually convert from my protected word doc.
In the mean time, i can still keep that word doc on a thumb drive until i get myself comfortable with another method.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Consider getting an app dedicated to managing passwords. I've been using 1Password for a few years and it is simply fantastic. It can plug your user names/passwords into your web browser for you; store registration codes for software you buy online; store your credit card details and plug them into a form when purchasing online; and more. I've come to find it utterly indispensable.

Reaction score
Congratulations on your purchase..

Make sure you get:

1. A good media app although quicktime plays most videos there are some it doesn't like i recommend.

VLC Media player

Plex

2. I also recommend a external hard drive for time machine use to backup your macintosh in case anything happens.

3. I also recommend downloading yosemite and creating a bootable dvd disk for it because its installer is in app form you cannot boot from it if you install a new hard drive.

4. I recommend Wineskin if you want to run a windows application on your mac and you do not have the space for a windows bootcamp partition.

5. Make sure to install alternative browsers firefox chrome opera so on so forth microsoft has been rigging windows server sites to be non compliant with safari web browser usually when you access one of these sites the site fails to load or loads scrambled.

6.Download handbrake for mac this will allow you to convert video into several different formats and you can use this to backup idvd's once created and convert them into mpeg 4 for iPhone iPad and iTunes use.

Is there anything else we can help you with today??

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thankyou. I will check that out.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ordered my MBA mar 13 and picked it up at retail store mar 27th. Booted and set up April 9th
Tho I have not registered it yet. Have been playing and learning.

I have 90 day Apple support included. Does anyone know when that starts.
Date ordered and paid for
Date picked up
Date registered

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It looks like "...support incidents within the first 90 days of product ownership" (bold mine).

At least according to their Canada page:
https://www.apple.com/ca/support/complimentary/
"Most Apple software and hardware products include unlimited complimentary support incidents within the first 90 days of product ownership. See the support-related materials included with your Apple product for more information. …"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 90 day Apple support included. Does anyone know when that starts.
Date ordered and paid for
Date picked up
Date registered

It starts the date ordered and paid for. That's the same in Canada as it is in the US. Also, registration is automatic and done by Apple as long as the purchase is from them and not another retailer. The support referenced above is for telephone support; your machine is under warranty for one year - parts and labor. Additional Apple care extends the telephone support and parts, labor, to a full three years.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for info, tho I did not order thru Apple but thru london drugs.
I better get on the band wagon and get things organized for my questions to Apple before time runs out.....

Tho I find this forum most helpful so am not too worried!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.