I am going to stop smoking to buy A G5

F

Fallooza

adrian29uk said:
Been quit for one week now. Only 51 weeks to go and then I get my G5 mac.
it only took 20 days ta quit for a week. it looks like 51, 20 day weeks ahead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
adrian29uk said:
22 days without a cigarette and now saved £49.50

Awesome!... Keep it up and you'll have your G5 in no time!

Reaction score
I've never been a smoker myself, but I'm a keen cyclist and many cycling friends who gave up say physical exertion is the key to giving up. Do somethign cardio-vascular. Everytime you want a smoke, go running. Worked for people I know.

Hope this helps.
Matt

P.S. How do you smoke 25 a day on £2.20? 10 smokes usually costs more than that!

D

Dotties Rebel

420 days? What a fine number...haha.

Anyway, nice. I should probably quit too...

OP
A
Reaction score
mtranter said:
I've never been a smoker myself, but I'm a keen cyclist and many cycling friends who gave up say physical exertion is the key to giving up. Do somethign cardio-vascular. Everytime you want a smoke, go running. Worked for people I know.

Hope this helps.
Matt

P.S. How do you smoke 25 a day on £2.20? 10 smokes usually costs more than that!

I used to smoke rollies and it was 35 a day on average.

E

enrigonz

dude, right now I'm drunk out of my mind but this sounds like the best thing you can do for your life/body, I don't know if you know what your lungs look like after years of smoking but lets just say you will be very glad you did, having a Mac as a goal or some kind of inspiration sounds like a great trade off.

P.S.

I'm not a drunk but I'm depressed as **** so today was special :)

OP
A
Reaction score
This all started because I bought a G3 Blue & White and was really depressed with performance of OSX and wished I had enough money for the G5. Anyway on the Last day of the Tour de france I was watching lance armstrong last ever ride through Paris on the TV and it got be thinking about quitting.

I then thought what I could treat myself to in one years time if I did quit and what I could do with all the money saved. After about 10 mins I thought about getting this G5 and the rest is history.

At the moment the thought of buying a brand new spanking G5 is still keeping me quit. I have had a couple of rough days but then I just visit Apples website and look at the G5 again and other websites and think:-

1) In less than one years time I will have a brand new G5 and I can finally get rid of the bug infested Windows.

2) I am not killing myself anymore, my lungs are starting to breath again. My risk of lung cancer, throat cancer, bowel cancer and heart attack is decreasing everyday.

3) I dont need to hide at work to get a quick smoke in.

4) My breath is fresher and my teeth are whiter.

5) I am not coughing my guts up anymore.

6) I am not so out of breath when I am cycling.

7) I am saving the money and not burning it

Since I stopped smoking according to my Smokers calculator I have not smoked 820 ciggarettes. Thats 23 packets of tobacco. Average 35 smokes a day.

I will return once a fortnight to tell you how I am going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
See! See!?

Switching to the Mac could improve your health and prolong your life!

Just kidding, good luck, we all want you to succeed, for yourself, not just for the Mac thing.

No cheating, now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Right on ! , good luck.. keep going :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, keep up the good work!

T

tajjster

What's all this about it being so hard? I was a fairly heavy user, quit cold turkey, had no withdrawals, no cravings, no cheating, no nothing. *shrug*

Reaction score
Some can not stop as easy as other. Count your blessing. ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
tajjster said:
What's all this about it being so hard? I was a fairly heavy user, quit cold turkey, had no withdrawals, no cravings, no cheating, no nothing. *shrug*
Just remember each person has a different temperament. You are one of the fortunate, that could do this. Be blessed and root for adrian29uk as he works to get where you are. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
rman said:
Just remember each person has a different temperament. You are one of the fortunate, that could do this. Be blessed and root for adrian29uk as he works to get where you are. :)
Exactly. I quit about one month ago. I smoked for 21 years. Two and a half packs a day. I had tried cold turkey several times, but you have to factor in things like how long you've smoked, how much you smoked, what kind of cigarettes you smoked, what time of day you smoked, where you smoked, etc. etc. All of those things determine how hard or easy it is for someone to quit. It really boils down to how long and how heavy you smoked though, the longer and heavier you smoked the harder it is to quit. Still the addiction isn't so much a physical one as it is a mental one. Getting over a simple nicotine addiction is simple. Once you stop smoking, the nicotine is out of you system in less than a week. What sticks around is the cravings for the act of smoking. That first smoke of the day, the one after meals, while driving, at the bar, on break at work, when you are nervous or upset, etc. all up to the last one of the day. People learn to associate smoking with everyday mundane parts of their day. For some it is such an integrated part of their routines, that they can't just stop. If you can, then consider yourself the very lucky and extremely fortunate minority.

When I quit, I used Nicorette gum. It helped stave off the cravings and is the only thing that has worked. It also gave me something to put in place of the cigarette. I could still go outside on my break at work, but instead of lighting up I just popped in a piece of Nicorette. And if you start to transition of the Nicorette and use just regular chewing gum, you can really get off the drug even faster. I think its better than the patch, because rather than give you a constant flow of nicotine, the gum allows you to decide when you want nicotine. Makes it a lot easier to cut it out alltogether.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok I have now been quit for 64 days.

I never ever thought I would get this far. Im still saving up for this G5 as well. That is still my number one goal. Still a long way to go but I have saved over £144.00 now.

I have had a few moments where I think to myself a cigarette would be nice then after about 30 seconds the thought goes away.

I do feel slightly better but I am sure as time goes on I will feel the benefits even more. I must admit when I am on my bicycle I have noticed that I can breath a whole lot easier, shortness of breath has dissapeared.

smokerscalc.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.