Hubs, Hubs and More Hubs

Reaction score
Hi, looking for a hub to extend both the ports and the drive space on my Mac Mini M2 when it arrives.
It is the 512GB, 16GB. But I take a lot of wildlife images and don't want to be clogging up the OS drive when I don't need to.
Looking on Amazon and also YouTube it's like a never ending story
So please can someone recommend a hub that is reliable and will allow me to expand my storage space by 1TB, increase USB options , SD card reader a must and won't need me to take out a second mortgage at my age (OAP).
Oh yes!! I have read on Amazon about some people having internet connection problems when using some brands.
Many Thanks.
Russ.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's something that might meet your needs. It adds multiple ports to the Mini. I looked at several similar devices before choosing this one. I chose this one for the following reasons:

1. I can add an SSD/hard drive/ drive for extra storage. The drive sits inside the device and does not take up extra desk space. I am using a 1 TB drive as my boot drive but it should accommodate larger drives.

2. This model has a VGA port which allowed me to make use of an old VGA monitor that was just talking up space.

I haven't noticed any internet connection issues in the last several months. If you will be using the VGA port to connect a second monitor, there is one caveat: This configuration can cause both monitors to operate with VGA resolution. I think this happens even if one monitor is connected directly to the Mini. The solution was as simple as using an HDMI to VGA cable to connect the VGA monitor and the Mini's HDMI port to connect the other monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PTBYHP9/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Reaction score
Hi, looking for a hub to extend both the ports and the drive space on my Mac Mini M2 when it arrives.
So please can someone recommend a hub that is reliable and will allow me to expand my storage space by 1TB, increase USB options , SD card reader a must and won't need me to take out a second mortgage at my age

I would *always* connect any external drives directly to your Macintosh for best reliability. Have a look at:

Samsung T7 external SSD. USB 3,2 Gen 2, up to 1050MB/s. Comes complete with USB-C to USB-C cable.
$79
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874YJP92/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Your mini will come with:
  • Two USB-A ports (up to 5Gb/s)
  • One HDMI port
  • One Gigabit Ethernet port
  • One 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Two Thunderbolt 4 ports (with USB-C connectors)
So, your SSD will take up one Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) port. That leaves you with one free TB4 (USB-C) port and two free USB-A ports. How many more USB ports do you need, and to connect what?

I often recommend this wonderful inexpensive hub:

USB C Hub Multiport Adapter, GIISSMO 7-in-1 USB-C Hub with 4K 60Hz, 100W Power Delivery, USB-C and 2 USB 3.0 5Gbps Data Ports, SD/TF Card Reader
$20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B67P1BM5

Will this be sufficient for your needs? It does a bit MORE than what you asked for. The price is certainly right.

OP
R
Reaction score
I would *always* connect any external drives directly to your Macintosh for best reliability. Have a look at:

Samsung T7 external SSD. USB 3,2 Gen 2, up to 1050MB/s. Comes complete with USB-C to USB-C cable.
$79
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874YJP92/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Your mini will come with:
  • Two USB-A ports (up to 5Gb/s)
  • One HDMI port
  • One Gigabit Ethernet port
  • One 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • Two Thunderbolt 4 ports (with USB-C connectors)
So, your SSD will take up one Thunderbolt 4 (USB-C) port. That leaves you with one free TB4 (USB-C) port and two free USB-A ports. How many more USB ports do you need, and to connect what?

I often recommend this wonderful inexpensive hub:

USB C Hub Multiport Adapter, GIISSMO 7-in-1 USB-C Hub with 4K 60Hz, 100W Power Delivery, USB-C and 2 USB 3.0 5Gbps Data Ports, SD/TF Card Reader
$20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B67P1BM5/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Will this be sufficient for your needs? It does a bit MORE than what you asked for. The price is certainly right.
Hi, Thank you for the reply.
I have to connect (1) Monitor HDMI port, (2) Wacom tablet (USB) (3) Monitor calibrator (USB) (4) SD card reader (USB) I was or have been looking at one of these for extra connections and also allows extra storage to be added at a lot less cost adding when you first buy your Mac Mini Stand & Hub for Mac Mini with SSD Enclosure.
Thanks again, Russ.

Reaction score
Hi, Thank you for the reply.
I have to connect (1) Monitor HDMI port, (2) Wacom tablet (USB) (3) Monitor calibrator (USB) (4) SD card reader (USB) I was or have been looking at one of these for extra connections and also allows extra storage to be added at a lot less cost adding when you first buy your Mac Mini Stand & Hub for Mac Mini with SSD Enclosure.

That Satechi stand/hub looks great. I have no experience with it or feedback about it. Though I know that stuff from Satechi tends to be good.

It will be significantly more expensive than the external SSD and hub that I suggested (once you fill it with an SSD), but it will be way more tidy. However, it's currently not available.

OP
R
Reaction score
That Satechi stand/hub looks great. I have no experience with it or feedback about it. Though I know that stuff from Satechi tends to be good.

It will be significantly more expensive than the external SSD and hub that I suggested (once you fill it with an SSD), but it will be way more tidy. However, it's currently not available.
Thank you. Just for info:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B097CJMY9M/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Looked at that yesterday, but it takes a M.2 SSD.

Here's something that might meet your needs. It adds multiple ports to the Mini. I looked at several similar devices before choosing this one. I chose this one for the following reasons:

1. I can add an SSD/hard drive/ drive for extra storage. The drive sits inside the device and does not take up extra desk space. I am using a 1 TB drive as my boot drive but it should accommodate larger drives.

2. This model has a VGA port which allowed me to make use of an old VGA monitor that was just talking up space.

I haven't noticed any internet connection issues in the last several months. If you will be using the VGA port to connect a second monitor, there is one caveat: This configuration can cause both monitors to operate with VGA resolution. I think this happens even if one monitor is connected directly to the Mini. The solution was as simple as using an HDMI to VGA cable to connect the VGA monitor and the Mini's HDMI port to connect the other monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09PTBYHP9/?tag=macforums0e4-20
Where as this takes the 2.5" SSD.

In the UK this is the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09PRG6XB6/

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The hub I linked to takes 2.5" drives (HDD/SSD). In fact, any drive larger than that will not fit into the drive bay (at the bottom of the device).

I currently have a 1 TB SSD in that bay but may swap in a 2 TB that I got a decent deal on recently.00

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.