Html 5

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Are you using twitter with Opera? I use the Twitter app from the Mac App Store.

Using Twitter website, not the app; I'm on an MBA. I don't think the app would offer protection from odd followers? And something weird is going on because I just lost 10 followers in the last 5 minutes, and I haven't even tweeted! Been on Twitter for years, and never saw anything like this going on before.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rainbowcat

The very little I could find on the Internet probably won't help; but the following points emerged as potential problems - they may not apply to you??

1. Don't use any Antivirus with Opera most especially if you are trying to use the VPN facility. AV and VPN don't play well together.

2. You need the latest version of Opera because earlier versions messed up Twitter for some people.

3. Odd comments here and there suggest using the Twitter app rather than Opera > web > Twitter; but frankly I can't find any links to your exact problems.

I know practically nothing about Twitter, but is there any way your account could have been hacked or corrupted in some way? Sorry not to be more helpful.

This one link comes closest to your difficulties, but not full of solutions: http://techdows.com/2012/07/opera-fixes-twitter-issues-in-its-browser.html

Ian

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
@rainbowcat

The very little I could find on the Internet probably won't help; but the following points emerged as potential problems - they may not apply to you??

1. Don't use any Antivirus with Opera most especially if you are trying to use the VPN facility. AV and VPN don't play well together.

2. You need the latest version of Opera because earlier versions messed up Twitter for some people.

3. Odd comments here and there suggest using the Twitter app rather than Opera > web > Twitter; but frankly I can't find any links to your exact problems.

I know practically nothing about Twitter, but is there any way your account could have been hacked or corrupted in some way? Sorry not to be more helpful.

This one link comes closest to your difficulties, but not full of solutions: http://techdows.com/2012/07/opera-fixes-twitter-issues-in-its-browser.html

Ian

Thank you Ian. My concern stems from the fact that Opera was purchased by a company in China, and someone here mentioned that could be dicey. I think the problem is coming from Opera, as my account hasn't been hacked. I'll stick to Brave when using Twitter, and see if things change. Appreciate all the research you did!

I think I see the issue - just checked Twitter on Brave. If one tweets to @Opera, you are immediately followed by a bunch of bots. Since I tweeted the problem yesterday, I just got another bunch of bots. Something is def fishy about this. I don't think this is a browser related problem, but an unethical issue stemming from the company that owns Opera. I think I am done with them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Once you tweet @company, that opens you up to anyone that follows that company. I notice that sometimes happens to me, anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.