HP Smart Tank 516 printer/scanner problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
For 2 months the 516 worked perfectly, printing/scanning using the HP Smart app on my MacBook as well as on my iPhone.
Then the printing stopped working from my MacBook, which was solved a few months later when my son pointed out to print directly from documents. The HP Smart app showed the 516 was connected, though (only) printing didn't work.
Then the scanning was no longer possible, but that was solved by another son who told me to use the HP Easy Scan.
Then the 516 disappeared from my MacBook Preferences (printers & scanner) and the HP Smart app could not find the 516 any longer. Strangely enough, the HP Smart app on my iPhone could and continued to work fine, both printing and scanning.
Now, with the HP Smart app I get on my MacBook attached message when I want to print, and the other attached message when I want to scan.

I hope this is not too confusing.....bottom line: I can print/scan from my iPhone, and print directly from documents from my MacBook, but not scan. But this was not like this before.

Now the HP part.
Since April, I have been trying to get somebody from HP to help me solve this. They do not have an approachable customer service, not by phone, not by chat. They only have a useless robot that sends answers that have nothing to do with the problem. On their forum, I got a reaction from an anonymous HP tech after 4 months to send a private message and explain (again...) what the problems are. No follow up at all, except when I asked his answer after 2 weeks, I got a rude, nasty reply that "I am not the only customer".

OK, without involving incompetent HP, anybody with a solution?
Thanks
Robert

11 HP login error.jpg 22 HP Smart App _ failed to open .jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jake
Thanks for your answer, but it's not a 'you don't have permission' issue. It's a pure HP software issue and HP don't give a darn. That's called creating happy customers.
Robert

Hi,

I understand your comment and you may we'll be right; but if I were you I'd give Jake's suggestion a go.

It certainly worked for one of our members very recently and I had the same problem with HP a good while ago - it would print but not scan - I solved it by a ridiculously roundabout way. Whereas, I could have solved it in little more than 30 seconds if I'd done what was suggested in the Link.

I understand that you might not have got the "Permissions" warning, as in the Link, but no harm at all would come from trying out the solution.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
I truly appreciate the suggestion, and I did go to the link, and I did go to /Library/Image Capture/Devices
But....my HP scanner isn't in that folder (a Brother scanner.app and an Epson scanner.app are in there, which I never had), so I can't remove an HP scanner.app and proceed as suggested.
But, I removed the two scanner apps, just to see if miraculously it will solve the problem. But no, the same error messages when I want to scan.

Now the good news: the HP scanner works perfectly when I send the instruction from the HP Smart app on my iPhone. I then email the scan to my MacBook et voilà, I got my scan. But it shouldn't be this crazy way, and it wasn't like that before.

Thanks for all the help.....and still no reaction from HP.
Robert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The error message number is the same in your HP app and in the native error reporting. All that is happening is that your HP app is getting the same error from macOS and passing the number on to you. It is the same problem.

I use an HP all in one printer/scanner and don't bother with any HP software. I just install the printer from the macOS System Preferences and get to the scanner the same way. Works well for me on Big Sur.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Sorry, but that doesn't work for me......see the 2 attachments from my Mac's SYSTEM PREFERENCES and the attached contradiction from the HP Smart App. In the meantime I print straight from the document with command-P and scan via my iPhone and the HP Smart app and then email the scan to my Mac. Technology upside-down Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 09.16.36 .jpg Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 09.17.10 .jpg Screen Shot 2021-08-22 at 09.17.54 .jpg

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
"Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" was exactly what I received when I tried to scan (Print OK).

I fully understand that you have gone through the full process as Linked to by Jake - and you remarked that your Printer was not listed although previous ones were.

I would be tempted to remove the Printer completely and then reinstall it.

I did note that your screenshot indicates "Status - out of ink". I presume you checked that and that the status check is wrong?

I'm really sorry you are having so much bother with this Printer.

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
"Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)" was exactly what I received when I tried to scan (Print OK).

I fully understand that you have gone through the full process as Linked to by Jake - and you remarked that your Printer was not listed although previous ones were.

I would be tempted to remove the Printer completely and then reinstall it.

I did note that your screenshot indicates "Status - out of ink". I presume you checked that and that the status check is wrong?

I'm really sorry you are having so much bother with this Printer.

Ian

That status indication is completely wrong. The printer is online, has full ink tanks, prints and scans perfectly from my iPhone, and used to work fine from my MacBook too. Only, since April, it no longer scans when clicked on my MacBook. It remains a mystery and as I wrote, HP doesn't give a darn
Robert

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Robert, I think your treatment, or lack thereof, by HP is scandalous.

See what others think, but I would delete the Printer completely, then reinstall it.

I'm sorry that we've not been able to sort things out for you.:(

Ian

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
After FOUR AND A HALF MONTHS, HP answered. Well, actually they answered that they will answer, soon (haha). I wonder if the mean with 'the global situation' what is happening in Afghanistan........
Laughable, if it wasn't so pathetic. The reaction probably came after my public shaming on their Twitter and Facebook pages.
QUOTE:
We're extremely sorry about the delay. Due to the current global situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. But please rest assured that your concern will be addressed by us.
I have forwarded your details to the appropriate team, they will et in touch with you in 3-4 business days.
UNQUOTE

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Well, Robert, I think your treatment, or lack thereof, by HP is scandalous.

See what others think, but I would delete the Printer completely, then reinstall it.

I'm sorry that we've not been able to sort things out for you.:(

Ian
I cannot delete the printer because the HP printer is not in my preferences. I'd rather leave what is there (something generic), because I can still print (not scan) from my Mac. I'm afraid if I remove it, I'll have nothing, and I don't know how/where to 'reinstall' it.
Robert

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cannot delete the printer because the HP printer is not in my preferences. I'd rather leave what is there (something generic), because I can still print (not scan) from my Mac. I'm afraid if I remove it, I'll have nothing, and I don't know how/where to 'reinstall' it.
Robert

Sounds a good plan (y) (y)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can add a seperatre instance of the HP Printer. I have had multiple versions of the same printer installed. You will then be able to choose which printer/scanner to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That status indication is completely wrong. The printer is online, has full ink tanks, prints and scans perfectly from my iPhone, and used to work fine from my MacBook too. Only, since April, it no longer scans when clicked on my MacBook. It remains a mystery and as I wrote, HP doesn't give a darn
Robert
I think you missed the point of the link I provided. The issue is that the Mac cannot see the printer because of a bug in the OS. Yes, the printer is on line. Yes, the iPhone can see it just fine. But the bug in the operating system, which Apple has indicated it will repair, means that the printer does NOT appear to the Mac properly and throws out an error with code "-21345" which the HP software dutifully repeats to you for action, albeit with a different description. The HP software didn't establish a link because the system inaccurately reported you don't have permission. But the error message is the same "-21345."

The link in post #2 shows a workaround to get the code cleared and to make the connection. Did you try that at all?

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
truly appreciate the suggestion, and I did go to the link, and I did go to /Library/Image Capture/Devices
But....my HP scanner isn't in that folder (a Brother scanner.app and an Epson scanner.app are in there, which I never had), so I can't remove an HP scanner.app and proceed as suggested.

Jake, I totally agree with you, but as you can see from the above quote, the named HP scanner was absent - though strangely, others were visible which had never been used by him???

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian, that is why I don't use the HP apps. I just install the printer from System Preferences/Printers and let it go. Works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Ian, that is why I don't use the HP apps. I just install the printer from System Preferences/Printers and let it go. Works well.
I usually do both.

First, I add the printer using System Preferences, then if the software adds other features, I go to the manufacturers website and download the software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
HP and Canon both include fluff software with their printers. I usually don't install any of it. However, there may be times when some of it may be useful such as for the scanner part, or fax if included.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" 2020
Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

I decided to drop this and just print directly from documents (which works) and scan via the HP Smart app on my iPhone (which also works) and then email the scans to my MacBook. At least I don't have to throw away my HP printer/scanner.

Let me recap and also the attempts of a (friendly) HP technician who finally contacted me, probably after I shamed HP on Twitter and Facebook (which they removed):

This was my last communication with HP:
----
Up til 4 months ago, printing and scanning using HP Smart app was no problem.
Also, scanning using HP Easy Scan app was no problem.

Suddenly, for new reason, a few months ago, scanning is impossible.
I tried every recommended solution on the HP forum: no change.
Also your tech tried the same remotely on my Mac: no change.
He first blamed MacOS 11.5.1. I updated to 11.5.2 but no change.
Then he blamed Safari.

I was advised by your tech to contact Apple, which I did.
Their response: There is NOTHING wrong with Safari. Apple got many complaints about the HP Smart app, all the same: scanning is impossible.

Yesterday the same. Your tech called and again a long explanation about Safari. This time he admitted that the HP software was only programmed for Mac-use for Safari, not Firefox or Chrome.
I called Apple again, and they answered the same as the day before.

So I went through all 4 options to scan again:

1. HP Smart Tank 510 series app
SCAN: Failed to open connection of the device (-21345)
Nothing to do with Safari

2. HP Easy Scan app
SCAN: same error message as in #1

3. HP Smart app
SCAN: opens SIGN IN / CREATE ACCOUNT
SIGN IN: opens Safari automatically : launching HP account (while I am already logged in on Firefox, without a problem)
An error has occurred
BADREQUEST
X-request-id: 49a09ac0-04fa-11ec-b7de-4b75243804a0.9435b750-059f-11ec-b7de-4b75243804a0

4. System Preferences on my Mac: Printers & Scanners
OPEN SCANNER: same error message as in #1

HP blames Safari while options 1, 2 and 4 have NOTHING to do with Safari.

Based on what Apple told me and the many dozens of complaints about the same I see in several forums, there surely must be something wrong at the side of HP.
This can be denied forever, but the facts prove otherwise.
Mind you: everything worked perfectly until a few months ago.

In the meantime, I scan using HP Smart app on my iPhone and email the scan to my Mac.
---
Note: HP blames Safari, but when I asked why HP Smart app forces you to sign in every time you want to scan (which doesn't work), and not other browsers which HP claims work fine, I got silence as an answer. Logic?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.