HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus has white streaks only in the "Blue" print Cartridge (I attempted cleaning the printhead).

Reaction score
I got a free HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus that works great in black and white, but whenever I print in color, the blue ink has white lines/streaks through it.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue with this printer? The test page (screenshot attached) says if there are white streaks, clean the printhead.

I did try to clean the printhead, but maybe I did it wrong? If it is the printhead, how should I clean it?

IMG_0057 2.jpeg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You can order a new printhead and replace the current one. That should get you back to proper printing again. If you got the printer for free, the printhead is a good investment.

Reaction score
I did try to clean the printhead, but maybe I did it wrong? If it is the printhead, how should I clean it?

Most inkjet printers have a cleaning routine that you can run. If that doesn't fix the problem after several tries, often your inkjet printer will have a "deep cleaning" routine. See:

https://www.manua.ls/hp/officejet-pro-8600-plus/manual?p=154

If even the deep cleaning routine doesn't work, you can either choose to replace the printhead (which is usually prohibitively expensive), or you can manually clean the printhead by soaking it overnight in cleaning solution.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04091615

Remove the printhead, remove the ink cartridges from the printhead assembly and place them on a paper towel to soak up any stray ink. Now, soak the portion of the printhead with the nozzles in a half and half solution of Windex and high concentration rubbing alcohol. See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHUQAZFdTOM

DO NOT let the little circuit board in the printhead get wet! After letting the printhead soak overnight, run water over the nozzles until the water runs clear. (Once again, DO NOT let the little circuit board get wet!) This usually works, but on very rare occasions you may have to repeat the above two or three times.

You may want to wear latex or rubber gloves for the above procedure.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If even the deep cleaning routine doesn't work, you can either choose to replace the printhead (which is usually prohibitively expensive), or you can manually clean the printhead by soaking it overnight in cleaning solution.

One possible solution before using this excellent suggestion that has worked for me and our inkjet printers is to create a document in Apple Pages with some text and a graphic box filled with the appropriate miss-working color and print it at Best Quality. One can resize the color-filled graphic box to larger or smaller depending how badly the color is printing or not, and several printing tries may be needed before it prints properly.

Of course make sure the cartridge does have ink in it.

This method has often worked when the deep cleaning cycle on my Canon printers has not.

Sorry, I just discovered I cannot attach a sample Pages file here as an attachment I thought could possibly be used to simplify things.

Let's see if this .zip attachment works...

- Patrick
=======

Attachments

• test clean inkprinter using Pages .zip
    88.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.