HP Officejet 8600 scanner will not work in OS X Yosemite

Reaction score
Good afternoon all - I have had issues since upgrading to OS X Yosemite. Since I have upgraded the operating system to OS X 9.5 to OS 10.10 the scanner function in my HP Officejet printer will not scan. I checked the setting to ensure the scan to computer was enabled yet the scanner will not communicate with the computer and vice versa. I have been to HP's website and left them a message and chatted with one of the technical reps. The tec rep told me to purchase a new all in one. I asked him for $250 so I can pay for another one. ;D So far I have heard no reply back. I am still trying to troubleshoot this issue since upgrading my iMac last month. I put a message on the Apple community as well. Still no response back. Hopefully this forum can help. Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Reaction score
I just spent 4 hours messing with this myself and finally called HP and they hooked me up. I too have an 8600 and had the latest Full Service drivers, but could not get the scanner to work. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.1. The things the HP rep did aren't anywhere to be found. If anyone is having any more issues, try checking these things below.

First, I had just set up a new Airport Extreme (802.1AC) and I didn't notice that I was broadcasting ONLY on the 5GHz channel. Apparently the printer works on the 2.4GHz, so ensure that is enabled. Best thing to do is reset your network settings from the front of the printer once you make the change and re-setup your network wireless settings.

Start by (-) deleting your printer from the System Preferences/Printers & Scanners.

Install the latest Apple HP Drivers! This is nowhere to be found on the forums/internet. Here they are: HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X
Without these drivers you will not see the 8600 with Bonjour Multifunction option (all I saw previously was simply Bonjour). It is important to see the Bonjour Multifunction or else you will not be the able to use all the features of the printer/scanner.

In your System Preferences under Printer & Scanners, (+) add your printer, let it run thru the setup/configuration. Do not choose AirPrint (instead choose the actual printer 8600).

Once setup and showing as a Printer, choose your printer and then Options and Supplies and choose Show Printer Webpage under the General tab. Once there, ensure two settings are changed (they are defaulted to the wrong settings during the install).
Go to the Network tab and under Advanced Settings on the left choose Bonjour and change Highest Priority Service from LPD to 9100 Printing (LPD is for Laser Printers). If you have a laser printer then leave this.

Next, under General choose Network Protocol and check Enable IPv4
only. IPv6 is generally for Commercial use. Apply changes and exit.

You may need to reboot your computer, but that should be everything...your printer should be working.

So frustrated to have gone thru this, but hopefully someone else can benefit.

Reaction score
I just spent 4 hours messing with this myself and finally called HP and they hooked me up. I too have an 8600 and had the latest Full Service drivers, but could not get the scanner to work. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.1. The things the HP rep did aren't anywhere to be found. If anyone is having any more issues, try checking these things below.

First, I had just set up a new Airport Extreme (802.1AC) and I didn't notice that I was broadcasting ONLY on the 5GHz channel. Apparently the printer works on the 2.4GHz, so ensure that is enabled. Best thing to do is reset your network settings from the front of the printer once you make the change and re-setup your network wireless settings.

Start by (-) deleting your printer from the System Preferences/Printers & Scanners.

Install the latest Apple HP Drivers! This is nowhere to be found on the forums/internet. Here they are: HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X
Without these drivers you will not see the 8600 with Bonjour Multifunction option (all I saw previously was simply Bonjour). It is important to see the Bonjour Multifunction or else you will not be the able to use all the features of the printer/scanner.

In your System Preferences under Printer & Scanners, (+) add your printer, let it run thru the setup/configuration. Do not choose AirPrint (instead choose the actual printer 8600).

Once setup and showing as a Printer, choose your printer and then Options and Supplies and choose Show Printer Webpage under the General tab. Once there, ensure two settings are changed (they are defaulted to the wrong settings during the install).
Go to the Network tab and under Advanced Settings on the left choose Bonjour and change Highest Priority Service from LPD to 9100 Printing (LPD is for Laser Printers). If you have a laser printer then leave this.

Next, under General choose Network Protocol and check Enable IPv4
only. IPv6 is generally for Commercial use. Apply changes and exit.

You may need to reboot your computer, but that should be everything...your printer should be working.

So frustrated to have gone thru this, but hopefully someone else can benefit.

Glad I found this thread. I upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion a few days ago and everything went well. Except today I tried to scan with my HP Officejet Pro 8600 and it failed. The print function was still working and System Preferences showed I already had the correct version 4.1.0 installed.

I was not able to find where the version for the Scan is located in OS X. Documentation for the Apple download v3.0 says the scan version is 5.16.0.

I followed your steps to delete the printer, install the HP Printer Drivers v3.0 from your download link and then added back the printer. I now can scan again.

Sorry to hear you went though a frustrating experience. You may have saved me from hours of frustration. Thanks very much for taking the time to share your results. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.