HP LaserJet Printer Quit Working after Yosemite Install

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I have a 6- year old HP LaserJet P1006 printer attached to my iMac via USB cable. The printer always worked with Tiger, then with Leopard and Snow Leopard up grades. But I recently upgraded to Yosemite; everything was working good until I tried my printer. Then I got the error message that the printer was not connected to my iMac, although it had never been disconnect. But I disconnected and reconnected just in case.

The Printers & Scanners still listed the printer, but any time I tried to use the printer I got the 'not connected' message.

At that point I decided to Reset the Print System and let Yosemite find the connected printer. But the printer wasn't found, so it's not listed when I try to Add it back in.
:Confused::Confused::Confused:

Any suggestions on what I should do next? Did Yosemite perhaps install a driver that doesn't work with my printer? Do I need to go looking and installing HP drivers?

I thought (and hoped) that I was beyond the days of having to worry about print drivers. I thought the OS took care of needed drivers these days. My printer is listed as one supported by Apple.

Any help/advice appreciated........thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Try editing your printer in preferences (remove) and then add the printer then do a software update.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Try editing your printer in preferences (remove) and then add the printer then do a software update.

The printer is already removed. It disappeared when I Reset the Print System. And now the Printers & Scanners screen doesn't list any printers nor will it let me add a printer (it won't let me type on the screen)..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When in Printer & Scanners in System Preferences durango, what happens when you hit the little (+) button, with the printer connected via USB and powered on?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When in Printer & Scanners in System Preferences durango, what happens when you hit the little (+) button, with the printer connected via USB and powered on?

The Add screen pops up, but it won't let me type in any printer info nor does it have a list of printers that I can choose from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not type anything in. Just click the (+) button and it will search and pop the printer picture into the r.h. column.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You do not type anything in. Just click the (+) button and it will search and pop the printer picture into the r.h. column.

Darn you are good. I had pressed the (+) button so many times that my finger hurt. But since you told me to click it again, I did; however, I reached over and turned the printer off/on first. Sure enough, the printer picture popped up and it printed my document. Thanks much. :) :)

Now I got to figure out how to share that printer with my PC over my LAN, and to also share the two PC printers with my iMac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Darn you are good.

I beg you. please don't let that become common knowledge. If it does there may not be enough space in all of down under to contain the resulting cranial expansion.:D

Sorry Harry I couldn't resist.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Sly, we have 10 gallon hats here in Texas that'll fit him. :p

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Sly, we have 10 gallon hats here in Texas that'll fit him. :p

Well, no wonder you are also good.......I just now noticed you are from Texas. I was born and raised there and graduated from Texas A&M. But back in those days, we students didn't have computers and smart phones. We solved our engineering problems with a slide rule, although scientific calculators were coming to use.

I guess that's why I struggle with all this 'i' stuff......iMac, iPad, iPhone, iCrap, etc. But I am enjoying it, and this is one great forum. Even the guys/gals not from Texas are pretty darn good.

Thanks to all...... :Cool:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was born and raised there and graduated from Texas A&M. But back in those days, we students didn't have computers and smart phones. We solved our engineering problems with a slide rule, although scientific calculators were coming to use.

An Aggie! :D I get down to College Station every now and then, probably still the same as you remembered it. And yep, I can remember doing engineering problems with my K&E Log, Log, Deci, Trig fancy slide rule that I had to buy from the student book store. After I graduated, (many years later) I purchased a Hewlett Packard HP scientific calculator (one which had large red LEDs) and was amazed how fast and easy it was doing the same problems. By the way, that HP was $350 back then. ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.