• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How YouTubers get paid?

Reaction score
Not that I intend on making any youtube videos or anything but I'm just curious about the topic.

1. If a YouTuber's video becomes watched by 5 million to 10 million times for example, is there someone that contacts the user and says 'Hey, we want to pay you such and such'? I heard the user get's contacted by Google, is that correct?

2. Is there a payment hierarchy of some sort? E.g. $10 for 1,000 views

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
We get paid??? LOL someone needs to tell youtube that..

But seriously there are multiple ways. Most op in for Adsense which google/youtube pays you for letting them advertise on your videos. The more popular your channel, they more you make. I made $11 the past 3 months, so yea dont expect to make it rich any time soon. But after you have became a youtube star you can promote products or services during your videos and have companies send you money directly..

Youtube this past year as made it very VERY hard for a channel to get big on its own. They basically want you to buy into Adwords and you pay them to advertise. But thats a whole hill of beans and another subject all together.

OP
S
Reaction score
We get paid??? LOL someone needs to tell youtube that..

But seriously there are multiple ways. Most op in for Adsense which google/youtube pays you for letting them advertise on your videos. The more popular your channel, they more you make. I made $11 the past 3 months, so yea dont expect to make it rich any time soon. But after you have became a youtube star you can promote products or services during your videos and have companies send you money directly..

Youtube this past year as made it very VERY hard for a channel to get big on its own. They basically want you to buy into Adwords and you pay them to advertise. But thats a whole hill of beans and another subject all together.

A 9 to 5 job is what I'm sticking to. I'm just curious after reading how some YouTubers are paid in the millions. Of course they are very talented and involves a lot of hard work. It's not for everyone. Through this admiring of the top earners- I wanted to know about the average joe in comparison also. So for you, $11 in 3 months. How many views did you get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
A 9 to 5 job is what I'm sticking to. I'm just curious after reading how some YouTubers are paid in the millions. Of course they are very talented and involves a lot of hard work. It's not for everyone. Through this admiring of the top earners- I wanted to know about the average joe in comparison also. So for you, $11 in 3 months. How many views did you get?

How you get paid depends on how popular your channel is. This is not just in views but also in watch time. So say you make 5min videos but everyone only watches 1min of each video, then youtube thinks your videos likely suck and will rank your over all channel lower, thus getting paid less per view or per add click. Now if they watch 4mins or longer per video, youtube will start to rank you channel higher and also pay you more per view/add click.

So if your channel is new like mine and struggling to get 50 views a day, you make fractions of a penny, or about 3 to 4 dollars a month. I also put out 2 to 3 videos a week.

How ever over time your channel will start to also rank higher depending on its age and will eventually pick up speed. I have friends who after about 3 years are getting about a thousand views per day, sometimes less, sometimes more. They make about $250 to $400 per month.

Also the economy and your type of channel genre plays a large part of your profit. This is because ads are user base targeted. So if you watch gaming channels you will get more adds from those who sell games, etc.. Now I watch photography stuff a lot and I get targeted with ads from photography related stuff. My channel is also photography related, so it often promotes more photography related stuff (most of the time) thus, I fall victim to what the photography market is paying. This can get very complex on how CPC and auctioning work. For those advertising. I am not going to get into that, basically sometimes I dont feel I fully understand wth is going on. But hope this helps.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How you get paid depends on how popular your channel is. This is not just in views but also in watch time. So say you make 5min videos but everyone only watches 1min of each video, then youtube thinks your videos likely suck and will rank your over all channel lower, thus getting paid less per view or per add click. Now if they watch 4mins or longer per video, youtube will start to rank you channel higher and also pay you more per view/add click.

Exactly the reason why we get so many YouTube spammers trying to access our forums to promote their particular videos. You guys don't see them because the Staff kills the posts and bans the YouTuber from further access. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Exactly the reason why we get so many YouTube spammers trying to access our forums to promote their particular videos. You guys don't see them because the Staff kills the posts and bans the YouTuber from further access. ;)

LOL
;D /Covers signature up...

Yea the backlinks from a predominate site like this one helps a lot in boosting search ranking. But the way youtube/google has been changing things up, its likely you will start to see a lot less of this as their search ranking algorithm is getting to smart for its own good.

Reaction score
heard that you have to have hundreds of thousands of views and over 1,000 subsrcibers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
heard that you have to have hundreds of thousands of views and over 1,000 subsrcibers

to what?

A) Become a Gold Fish?
B) Start a Monopoly Game?
C) Play My Little Pony?
D) Make a living on youtube?

You got to clarify your post..

C

chas_m

There's nobody -- and I mean nobody at all, no exceptions -- making "millions" of dollars off of YouTube. I doubt even Google's doing much more than breaking even on it. If you've heard people claim this, they're lying.

It's possible to get a few bucks, and if you're very popular indeed maybe a few hundred dollars a month off YouTube stuff, but for the most part it's people hustling for essentially pennies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's nobody -- and I mean nobody at all, no exceptions -- making "millions" of dollars off of YouTube. I doubt even Google's doing much more than breaking even on it. If you've heard people claim this, they're lying.

It's possible to get a few bucks, and if you're very popular indeed maybe a few hundred dollars a month off YouTube stuff, but for the most part it's people hustling for essentially pennies.

Actually, your right, but...

If you focus just on Adsense for revenue, then yea don't expect much. Matter of fact the pay out has been in a huge decline the past few years. That said, the more popular your channel becomes, the more they pay you per click. If your channel becomes very popular, not PewDiePie famous, but lets say 30k to 50,000 views per month. This is achievable. Current pay out is about $1000 per month. However during election times or sporting events it can go up. Also another factor is what your videos are on. Youtube advertisements are geared toward the type of content you view, so if your like me you get photo advertisements, also those who are likely to view your channel regularly may also fall in close to the niche. This may not always be the most profitable niche though, some niche like Sports (take a wild stab here) could pay out much more per click. If you are under Youtubes top 100, you could make anywhere from 100k to about a million a year. However, there are over 505,000,000 current youtube channels. So getting in that top 100 is not likely to happen for most of us. That said there are in fact many thousands of youtube channels out there that between adsense, product promotions, patreon and selling books. Do in fact make a very nice living from their channel. That said, it takes TIME, it could be months or even years before your channel really kicks off. On average about 3 years of really great content and perseverance before you can quit your day job and focus just on your tube channel. Thats the sad honest truth..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.