How To Wipe The Hard Drive Completely Clean & Restore the Factory Settings

Reaction score
I have an MacBook Air - 2014 model, purchased last Aug. I would like to restore it to its initial condition in order to sell it.

How can I do this? I found some methods, but either they were incorrect or I am doing something wrong. I can get the OS redownloaded in it's factory condition, HOWEVER, my profile photo and other personal stuff is still on it. I want it completely as it was at purchase.

Can someone lay out the process, step-by-step.

Thanks!

OP
R
Reaction score
When I try to follow those steps, some of the fields stay grey out and I cannot proceed.

I do recall an OS upgrade a few months after purchase. Was that Yosemite? I am very unfamiliar with the Mac procedure, have not had a good experience. I just need to sell this thing. It has hardly been used.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Mind if I suggest putting some effort into solving what it is about this machine that is driving you nuts?

What exactly is going wrong?

OP
R
Reaction score
The problems I am having are not because of some defect in the Mac system ... Just that I am a lifetime Windows user, rarely use my laptop, and thus I have not gotten proficient at it and it gets frustrating. Everyone told me, "get a Mac "get a Mac"! Maybe they meant a Big Mac! I don't know ...

At any rate, I managed to erase the first listed drive last night and then I was able to download a new OS from the Internet ... I don't know how I did it, but I did. Woke up this morning to an Airbook ready for a new user,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Your problem is the new operating system will be tied to your Apple ID forever and the only way a new user will be able to update is with your AppleID and password. Suggest to whoever buys it they download Yosemite through their Apple ID, or create one if they do not have an ID, and install that on your computer.

Since digital downloads all downloads stay with the originaller installer.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The OP most likely installed the OS that came on the machine when new.

Not necessarily. Unless I misunderstood the Apple notes the OS version that's installed depends upon how the new install was done.
Which version of OS X is installed by OS X Recovery?
If you use the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to reinstall OS X, it installs the most recent version of OS X previously installed on this computer.
If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased.
See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.