How to Verify Bluetooth Version on Gadget

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Quick question:
How does one verify the protocol of a Bluetooth gadget (not a computer).

For example, I recently purchased a Bluetooth 5 transmitter & receiver (model no: ZF-360A) to stream music from my computer to my set of old non-Bluetooth speakers. It works fine but sometimes there seems to be interference for a few seconds and then it goes away. Despite that, I find Bluetooth a more stable and reliable for streaming audio than Airplay and/or WiFi. I am wondering if I want to verify that this gadget is really a Bluetooth 5, how can I accomplish that? Is there an app or something that can do that?

Attachments

• BT5.jpg
    BT5.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can you look at the manufacturers website or documentation that came with it? Does it connect to your computer? You may find the information in Applications > Utilities > System Information. Then select Bluetooth.

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Can you look at the manufacturers website or documentation that came with it? Does it connect to your computer? You may find the information in Applications > Utilities > System Information. Then select Bluetooth.

It has no brand so there’s no manufacturer’s website. It connects to my MacBook Pro fine. I’ll have a look at the System Information but I’ve always thought that only refers to the computer and not connected devices.

I’ll update accordingly after I’ve looked it up.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
Ferrar,

You’re a genius! The information is all there.

I have a question though. The System Information list includes devices that are not currently connected to my computer even. How’s that possible?

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Are you referring to only Bluetooth, or other types of connections as well?

For Bluetooth, the devices are paired to each other, until you "Forget this device".

OP
YanAndrew
Reaction score
I am referring to the Bluetooth paired devices list.

It somehow managed to list information on devices that are not paired to it then. Spooky right?

Does anyone know if the Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (which is what the MacBook3,1 A1181 has) supports Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)?
Also, is it possible to upgrade Bluetooth2.0+EDR to Bluetooth 4.0, for example? Or is a newer version Bluetooth USB dongle the only way?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also, is it possible to upgrade Bluetooth2.0+EDR to Bluetooth 4.0, for example? Or is a newer version Bluetooth USB dongle the only way?

Not possible without a hardware upgrade. So yes, a USB dongle would have to be used, and usually they're hit and miss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.