How to update your OS using Software Update

M

MacHeadCase

Just thought I'd post some info on how to update your OS X Mac using the Software Update feature.

IMO there are three safety precautions to take, they are simple and will ensure that all goes well after updating your system.

If you have an external hard drive, make a backup just before going through the update process. I use SuperDuper!, it's great and makes a bootable copy of your system on the external so if anything should go wrong, you can always revert to what your Mac was using till you can figure out what went wrong in the update. BTW SuperDuper! came up on top with the least amount of dropped files in a comparative test with Carbon Copy Cloner, Retrospect, and Apple's own Backup. SuperDuper! checks out the copy it made before quitting to make sure it is a working copy.

Then I unplug all peripherals, quit all running apps and start the updating process. Once the update is finished, I plug back in the peripherals, restart and everything has always been fine.

Here are articles and useful info on making sure updating turns out to be a happy experience for you guys:

• Apple Knowledge Base article: Mac OS X: Troubleshooting installation and software updates

• XLab's Installing software updates

Shock and Awe: How Installing Apple's Updates can Render Your Mac Unbootable and How You Can Prevent it

I know some users never take all these steps and say these are unnecessary as nothing has ever happened to them. I've never been mugged on the street but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Good thread

nice one

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Great guide MHC!

I know I at least try to follow similar steps... :)

Another vote for SuperDuper! here too!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Since I have my new external drive, decided it was time to get a back up going. Took the plunge and bought SuperDuper (instead of my usual multiple hours of research to find the best one) - looks to be well worth the $28 for a full featured back up app so far. Backed up (44GB) and booted from the back up in under 35 minutes - start to finish - not too bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I know some users never take all these steps and say these are unnecessary as nothing has ever happened to them. I've never been mugged on the street but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. ;)

I've never had a meteor crash into my house, but it could happen. Perhaps I should move into a cave.

;)

By all means backup if you desire. Bad things can happen and it's always a good idea to have that extra level of safety if you feel you need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
nice post

i use superduper sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.