how to share document in iCloud Drive???

Reaction score
So I put a document in my iCloud drive, and ask to share it. I type in an e-mail address (someone who it recognizes as being in my contact list), and it comes back with "People couldn't be added. There may be a problem with your server. Please try again later".

Except I just before that shared the document with myself at another e-mail address, so a problem with my server seems unlikely. What's going on?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but I thought it reasonable to invite you to read the link below regarding Apple's instructions for using and sharing with iCloud Drive.

You will notice the limitations:

"To use iCloud Drive folder sharing, your computer or device must have macOS version 10.15.4 or later, iOS version 13.4 or later, or iCloud for Windows version 11.1 or later."

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't mean to insult your intelligence, and there is no way you would know anyway, but I'm using Monterey 12.6.1 on an M1 iMac.

The instructions from Apple are useful, but don't explain why what I did didn't work. Selecting a document in iCloud, I am offered an opportunity to share, but then it won't let me do it. If there is a reason why it won't let me, it might be nice if it told me why it won't do what it is offering to do.

Do I understand that the recipient of the file has to be a named "collaborator"?

The instructions you point to say "Choose Collaborate from the pop-up menu."
I see no such selection offered when I select a document in iCloud Drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just to be clear, "iCloud Drive" is a folder on your Mac. If you select a file in that folder and right click on it, you should get a menu with "Share..." as an option. Clicking share there opens a window where you should be able to select "Mail" and Mail will launch a new message with that document attached to it. You can enter a destination and subject line in the new message and send it.

Is that what you are doing, or are you doing something different? Can you describe, in detail, exactly want steps lead to this issue for you? Remember, we cannot see your machine, so you have to be very specific.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.