How to remove Apple Books

Reaction score
Hello All,

Could I know how to remove Apple Books? Its such a waste software, won't let me open epubs and it just sits there occupying precious memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum.

From what do you want to remove Books? And what version of the OS is on that device? There are versions for the Mac, iPhone and iPad. As for memory, it really doesn't take up much, but may be removable, depending on device and version of the OS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Could I know how to remove Apple Books? Its such a waste software, won't let me open epubs and it just sits there occupying precious memory.

Apple Books is locked to the system and can not be removed by normal means. It may be able to be removed by turning off SIP.

Apple Books is a small app that occupies very little disk space and takes up no memory unless it's running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Charlie, what about the Books apps on the iPhone and iPad? I think they might be removable. I just tried on my iPhone running iOS 14.4 and it's removable there.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Books app (iOS and iPadOS) can be removed. They can be reinstalled by clicking on your Apple ID and scanning thru your purchases and downloads and then click on the small cloud.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
occupying precious memory.

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

Just for your information: On my iMac, the Books app takes up 85.3MB and on my iPad, where I have a lot of books, the total storage including books is 150MB - so the actual app is very much less than this.

It's your choice, of course, but if you were thinking that removing the Books app would free up valuable, or even noticeable, storage space - that is clearly not the case.

Finally, Memory, also called Random Access Memory, is not involved at all unless you use the app.

Storage is the space taken up by the Operating System and whatever apps and further content you have - eg Files, Photos, Videos etc. They do take up a lot of storage, but the Books app doesn't.:)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.