how to reinstall Mail.app

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't without reinstalling OS X.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
A quick look at the App Store will confirm the above comment from chscag. If you search for Mail it will list among the alternatives Yosemite, why, because the only way you can get Apple Mail is by downloading a whole operating system. :|

OP
R
Reaction score
Bummers,

ok how would I reinstall the whole OS being it is not an upgrade??? I don't want to erase the hard drive and reload all my other programs and data after the reinstall of the OS.

thanks for your help

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That will depend on what OS you have. Please let us know what mac you are using and what OS. All of the details from About This Mac under the Apple Menu would be ideal.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
May I ask why you want to re-install Mail?

If we know your problem, maybe there's a fix, short of re-installing your OS.

If re-installing the OS turned out to be the only solution, your method of backup would be important because you clearly wouldn't want to copy back the problem.

Ian

Last edited:
OP
R
Reaction score
okay here goes

OS X Yosemite
version 10.10.1
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB

I upgraded to Yosemite and that was a mistake, nothing but problems that I didnot have before. Now I can't even open up an application without having to watch the spinning wheel. Even highlighting text is a problem because the cursor will not react and I have to wait for something to catch up. Mail was a major problem, I sent one email with about 35 photos in it. The total size of the email was 2.7 MB, but Mail kept making copies of it. At one time I have 53 copies of this one email in the recovery folder that I could not delete. One site suggested that I delete the V2 folder and resign in my email accounts. I tried that, but now I can not sign in as the window deletes what I have entered in the form when I press Next and when I press cancel the program quits. I was hoping reinstalling Mail.app would solve this problem...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.