How to reduce size of Calendar File

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 27inch, 2017, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D127a)
I regularly backup my Calendar file, but it is quite bulky now, going back to 2009. I know that when one restores from a Calendar archive it wipes out later entries, so I have settled on a weekly archive.

Is there a way to remove earlier years from Calendar?

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, 27inch, 2017, OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D127a)
Thanks PM-R.

What I really want to do is to clear all of the year's entries for all of my calendars from 2013 backwards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Well, I don't really know how one would do that with the seemingly limited options Calendar.app provides, and maybe the reason some seem to recommend using BusyCal etc. which seems excessive and expensive, at least for my use and needs.

I guess one could just Delete an existing Calendar and start a new one. Or use a script that I did come across at:
Remove old events from Calendar - Mac OS X Hints

But being basically text base, I can't see that even having several various calendars would take up much drive space which seems was a concern. ;)

I expected to find more constructive Google hits with the searches I used:
Mac clear old entries from calendar
Mac clear old entries from calendar.app
but not good enough or a real concern I guess. ;)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When I made the transition from MobileMe to iCloud I had to log into iCloud and click a few options. Every time I tried to update the Calendar format the entire process came to its knees.

Long story short the helpful folks at Apple support determined I had thousands of calendar entries going back about a decade. This came from several years of synching Palm phones and IOS gear "in the cloud". Unfortunately the only solution I found was to delete them manually since I didn't want to delete the entire calendar. I chose to do that bit of work from within iCloud rather than from my phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Ahh yes, good old Palm Desktop and all it's usefulness, and I think I still have a Palm unit with a broken glass front my youngest son was the last to use somewhere in one of my desk drawers. I don't think I have any old lingering data still in use anywhere, and definitely not in any "cloud" as I didn't like or use any cloud stuff even in those days. ;)

I think we just might be dating ourselves a bit. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.