How to quickly scroll through photos in a folder?

Reaction score
I'm new to the Mac and I'm looking for something similar to IrfanView. IrfanView allows me to display JPEGs or PNGs when scrolling through a folder.
For example, I click on a photo in a folder, the photo opens, and then I can just scroll through the rest of the picture files in the folder by scrolling with the mouse or by clicking the right or left arrow keys. It's an easy way to flip through files. The app is very light but unfortunately only available for PCs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You can easily do the same thing on a Mac with a feature called QuickLook. Here's how to do it:
1. Open a folder with some pictures just as you would in Windows.
2. Single-click one of the photos and tap the spacebar once.
3. Use the arrow keys to move to the next picture.

QuickLook also lets you preview the contents of some other types of files. This article covers an older version but the current version is essentially the same. Can I have QuickLook show me the contents of folders?

krs

Reaction score
There is probably a much better way in Photos or iPhoto, but I don't use those and so I cheat.

I keep my images in labelled folders,when I want to see all of them at once I open the folder, change the view to icons and then make the ions larger - that will show you each jpg image.
I need to do this very seldom, so it works for me.

krs

Reaction score
You can easily do the same thing on a Mac with a feature called QuickLook.
I have used Macs longer than I can remember and never knew that!
Thanks,
Just used it with Mojave and it works as advertised.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't remember where/when I learned that trick. It works with many other kinds of files as well. It will, for example, preview specific music files by actually playing them. IIRC QuickLook will preview MS word files. Recent versions of QuickLook are far more powerful than the first version. A Complete Guide for Using Quick Look on MacOS

Rather than remember all the file types QuickLook can handle, I try and activate it anytime I need to do something quickly with a file.

OP
M
Reaction score
You can easily do the same thing on a Mac with a feature called QuickLook. Here's how to do it:
1. Open a folder with some pictures just as you would in Windows.
2. Single-click one of the photos and tap the spacebar once.
3. Use the arrow keys to move to the next picture.

QuickLook also lets you preview the contents of some other types of files. This article covers an older version but the current version is essentially the same. Can I have QuickLook show me the contents of folders?
Thanks for your reply! It works but only for a few photos. In detail-view, it doesn't work at all.

For example>
I opened a folder with about 12 photos. 4 in each row. And it would only flip through the first 4 photos fine but not the rest.

Am I missing something? Is there a trick or key that I can flip through all photos in the folder?

Most of my folders contain a view hundred photos.
Thanks!

krs

Reaction score
I just tried it on over 100 photos in a folder.

No problem if the photos are in "list view" and you just hit the down arrow to go through them.

krs

Reaction score
If you don't want to use list view but use icon view,then you have to use the down button to go to the next row.
Or just use the down button to go through each column of pictures

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry for the double posting above. I don't see the option to delete my second accidental posting.

@ krs
Thanks again for your help. I played around some more.

Here's what I found out. In this preview Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.07.01 PM.png

If I hit the spacebar it will show me a larger view as suggested above. And when use the right or left arrow keys it only shows me that row. If I use the up and down arrow it moves only within that column.

In list view it works very well but it's not overly convenient. I have to use the smallish up and down arrows to scroll through the photos. - at least it is a good workaround.

I will still search for a solution where I can click on a photo in a folder open it and then flip through the rest. Ideally by scrolling through it with the mouse.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

OP
M
Reaction score
what works best for me is putting it in the preview below and then use the right and left arrow keys Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 8.31.24 PM.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In list view it works very well but it's not overly convenient. I have to use the smallish up and down arrows to scroll through the photos. - at least it is a good workaround.
Use your "tab" key instead. That will allow you to quickly go thru large lists of photos without using the up and down keys to move from column to column. Using that method in conjuntion with Quick Look (tapping the space bar) will enable you to go thru a large number of photos or graphics. Try it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is brilliant.

I don't think I have ever done things that way, but then again most of my folders don't have large numbers of photos. I do have some folders with lots of music. I assume it would work the same way with any media type tha QuickLook supports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm new to the Mac and I'm looking for something similar to IrfanView. IrfanView allows me to display JPEGs or PNGs when scrolling through a folder.
For example, I click on a photo in a folder, the photo opens, and then I can just scroll through the rest of the picture files in the folder by scrolling with the mouse or by clicking the right or left arrow keys. It's an easy way to flip through files. The app is very light but unfortunately only available for PCs.

Funnily enough, there is a current thread where someone was looking for a counterpart to IrfanView,

Everyone has their favorite methods and apps, as you can see. I was a long-time user of ACDSee Classic in Windows going way back. I don't recall if I've ever used IrfanView, but anyway... there's one low cost app on the App Store that I think would suit your needs,,,, EdgeView 3. I've tried a LOT of different viewers the past few months to replace what I had been using and this is super fast with a minimal UI. I suggest looking over that other conversation for more details and thoughts from myself and others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have used Macs longer than I can remember and never knew that!
Thanks,
Just used it with Mojave and it works as advertised.
The Mac's Quicklook feature is one of the best and handiest things of the OS, and I'm sure you'll be using it all the time from now on... 😉

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac & 16" MacBook Pro (Intel)
There's also Gallery View in a Finder window, which gives an experience similar to Quick View.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have used Quick view for years without knowing what it was called, but didn't know about gallery view.

Ta for that DJ, I will be using that quite a bit from now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have used Quick view for years without knowing what it was called, but didn't know about gallery view.

For those who haven't upgraded their MacOS enough, Gallery View wasn't offered as an option until Mojave OS 10.14 was released.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
That's why I missed it then Patrick. We went from High Sierra to Big Sur with our new machine. The nearest on HS is Cover flow which is similar I suppose.

Jeem

Reaction score
Cover Flow allowed one to park their cursor in the actual viewing header on the left or the right of the image shown and simply click to view the successive images in the list. No movement of the mouse at all. Just click, click, click.... I guess that is gone?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.