How to pull every video on my MacBook pro

Reaction score
I have a bunch of videos in many folders but since I’ve imported so much from external drives, they are everywhere. I can’t figure out how to pull all videos to a new folder? Also, I use VLC, but sone videos still launch in QuickTime. Anyway to make all vids open with VLC? Thanks. I have late stages of lung cancer and chemo has made me stupid. Arthur

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
You can use the search function in Finder. It's usually in the top right corner of a Finder window. Search for .mov or .mp4 or .avi etc.

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.04.09.png

Anyway to make all vids open with VLC?
Select a movie file in Finder. Right click and select "Get Info". At the bottom of the Info panel, where it shows the "Open With" option, click on the arrows and then select VLC.

Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.09.19.png

Then click on "Change All" to get all files of that type to open with VLC.
Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 21.09.31.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5K iMac 27" 4.2ghz / Mojave
In the Finder, you can set up a "Smart Folder" to automatically gather items like these.

FILE --> NEW SMART FOLDER

You can also - and this is the method I prefer - do a Search in the Finder (Command-F)

In the search filed type name:.mov (or .mp4 or .m4v or whatever you're looking for)

Once you press <Return>, just below that search field you can see a "Save" button.

Make sure the "Add to Sidebar" checkbox is ticket at the bottom-centre of that window. Now that "smart search" will be listed in the sidebar of every Finder window! To remove it, just click-and-drag it off (hold for a second before releasing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
In the Finder, you can set up a "Smart Folder" to automatically gather items like these.

Good point, and didn't iTunes have something similar to gather up all movie types and organize them together, or was that just with some older versions???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I have a bunch of videos in many folders but since I’ve imported so much from external drives, they are everywhere. I can’t figure out how to pull all videos to a new folder? Also, I use VLC, but sone videos still launch in QuickTime. Anyway to make all vids open with VLC? Thanks. I have late stages of lung cancer and chemo has made me stupid. Arthur
Sympathies on your health situation. x

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.