• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

How to make a long imovie

Reaction score
I want to put a lot of images as well as some time lapse videos and interviews into an imovie to promote my program. The whole thing may be around 30 minutes long. Should I just go about making an Imovie in the regular way in which we make 3-5 minute films? I assume when done I will need to save to a DVD. I don't think my Macbook 10.6.8 has a DVD burner in it. Can anyone confirm? If not, and we don't have a burner on campus, what should I do? I was thinking I could just save the file onto multiple laptops and show from them, but I also wonder about storage and moving the video. I do have a hard drive which hopefully has enough space. Any help would be (as always) greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Should I just go about making an Imovie in the regular way in which we make 3-5 minute films?
Yes. I've often made movies of 30/45/60 minutes with no problem.

I will need to save to a DVD.
As a dvd that will play in a dvd player, or just a copy of the movie file? If you want a playable dvd, you should have iDVD in your Applications folder, and you should be able to Share you movie direct from iMovie to iDVD.

I don't think my Macbook 10.6.8 has a DVD burner in it.
I don't know of any MacBook that can't burn dvds. Which one do you have?

Reaction score
How to make a long iMovie

Dear usingmac

I agree with MightyGem's statement. If you are running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard, you probably had iMovie 09 installed as well as iDVD. Most of the movies I have made are vacation videos completely edited with music, transitions, titles, etc., and are 45-60 minutes in length. I would bet your Mac has a SuperDrive in it with that configuration, as well as iDVD. When your iMovie is complete, you can share it to the media browser. It will take longer to render than your shorter films.

When it has finished rendering, open iDVD and choose Magic IDVD. Give a title to your project, choose a theme, then drag and drop your movie to the box where it says "Drop Movies Here". Press the Preview button if you want to see how it looks, then the burn button in lower right side of the window. You will be prompted to insert a recordable disc. The first disc burned will take longer than the subsequent ones. You can burn multiple copies in succession.

The sequence may be a little different if you have an newer version of iMovie.

Hope this helps
Algebraprof

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks. Those details will be very helpful when my movie's done.

In the meantime, in case I don't have dvd's to burn, can I just copy the finished movie to a hard drive and then download it on multiple laptops for viewing?

How long will it take to export/render/whatever the final movie if it's about 45 minutes? Then will it copy quickly once completed?

Lastly, how do I figure out how much memory is on my hard drive? It has also been partitioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
In the meantime, in case I don't have dvd's to burn, can I just copy the finished movie to a hard drive and then download it on multiple laptops for viewing?
Yes. Just use the Share Menu and use the Export Movie option. Even if you don't have any dvds, you can still Share to iDVD and then save the iDVD Project as a disc image and burn later using Disk Utility.

How long will it take to export/render/whatever the final movie if it's about 45 minutes?
Around 45 minutes.

Then will it copy quickly once completed?
Duplicating the file will probably take about the same length of time.

Lastly, how do I figure out how much memory is on my hard drive? It has also been partitioned.
Select each partition and then press Cmd+I to get the info panel. That will tell each partition capacity and how much has been used/is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Duplicating the exported film file will take long? How come?
Because you either have to export it from iMovie again which will take the same amount of time, or you can duplicate it by Right/Ctrl clicking it and selecting Duplicate. In that case Finder will have to read and duplicate the file, which will take time.

C

chas_m

MightyGem was assuming you'd be re-rendering it. It won't take long to just copy the exported file.

OP
U
Reaction score
Well yeah, that's what I meant. If it's already an exported movie file, shouldn't copying it to another laptop take a minute, like copying a jpeg or the like?

OP
U
Reaction score
Also, how can I move a clip from one part of my project to another? I try to pull it up the film strips but it won't go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies for the confusion.
Also, how can I move a clip from one part of my project to another? I try to pull it up the film strips but it won't go.
Clicking on the clip and then moving it straight away should work. If you click and pause for a moment you end up selecting only a portion of the clip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.