How to install a MacOS direct download?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Sadly, I tried that twice, and the computer rebooted on the first sleep. :-(

I may be able to explain your not being able to boot into Safe Mode.

Here are the instructions: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Atbalsts

The usual problem is that if you are using a Bluetooth (BT) Keyboard, it is not recognised because BT is activated later on in the reboot cycle.

To avoid this, you have two options:

1. Use a wired Keyboard

2. Connect your Magic KB to the Mac via USB - as you would to recharge it - assuming you have a Magic KB which charges this way rather than one with replaceable batteries.

Sorry it's such a pain.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If it is the Apple Wireless Keyboard that has the replaceable batteries, then you can tap the shift bar, then let go, then press it again and hold it down. Both presses need to be done after the restart and before the “gong”.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
R
Reaction score
I may be able to explain your not being able to boot into Safe Mode.

Here are the instructions: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Atbalsts

The usual problem is that if you are using a Bluetooth (BT) Keyboard, it is not recognised because BT is activated later on in the reboot cycle.

To avoid this, you have two options:

1. Use a wired Keyboard

2. Connect your Magic KB to the Mac via USB - as you would to recharge it - assuming you have a Magic KB which charges this way rather than one with replaceable batteries.

Sorry it's such a pain.

Ian

Sorry, I meant that I was able to safe boot twice, but despite that, the computer still rebooted on its own the first time I tried putting it to sleep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.