How to install a MacOS direct download?

Reaction score
I recently updated my OS to Mojave 10.14.6., and I'm guessing that's why my computer (Mac Mini 2018) has been rebooting when I put it to sleep. I have reinstalled the OS and reset the NVRAM, etc., but no luck.

I've read that the 10.14.6 Supplemental Update #2 can sometimes fix that problem, so I downloaded and tried to install it. However, the installer is telling me that my disk does not meet the specified requirements. I don't know what that means. Is it because I'm trying to install onto the same disk where the install file is located? If not, any tips on how to resolve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
moffyn when I do any upgrade, always make a bootable USB thumb drive busing DiskmakerX, pop the thumb drive in, boot from it, erase and format the drive and do a clean install and migrate everything over from current backup. Upgrade after upgrade does not seem to work too well imho.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
sleep shouldn't realistically cause you to have a reboot issue when you put the Mac to sleep.

it could be you have some corrupt files that's causing it,

if you can backup all your files and do an internet recovery on the Mac mini.

or better still upgrade to Catalina and that way you will have all the new bells and whistles so to speak,

let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
or better still upgrade to Catalina and that way you will have all the new bells and whistles so to speak,

But you may end up missing a lot of the old software you used to use that may no longer work, so best to check first before performing any Mac OS upgrading.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why hasn't anyone mentioned to the OP to do a SMC reset? And for info sake.... He doesn't need the supplemental update #2 for Mojave if he recently downloaded Mojave 10.14.6 as those security updates were included.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@ragamoffyn

You recently upgraded to 10.14.6, you said.

May I ask from which OS did you upgrade? In other words, what was the previous OS? I ask because the upgrade may have meant a change in the File system from HFS+ to APFS.

Also, would you mind telling us from where you downloaded 10.14.6? I don't mean to be impertinent, but knowing which site you visited to get macOS Mojave could help.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why hasn't anyone mentioned to the OP to do a SMC reset? And for info sake....

I am guessing that we were leaving it up to you to do Charlie, after all, you do it so well. :D

But out of curiosity, i wonder if that would actually fix the problem??? Hmmm...???
But it sure wouldn't hurt to try as you suggest.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Patrick:

Here's what he said:

I recently updated my OS to Mojave 10.14.6., and I'm guessing that's why my computer (Mac Mini 2018) has been rebooting when I put it to sleep. I have reinstalled the OS and reset the NVRAM, etc., but no luck.

A SMC reset might cure the rebooting when sleeping. Worth a try.

Also Ian brought up an important point about Mojave reformatting his drive to APFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick:
Here's what he said:

Thanks Charlie, but i did read all the comments, and my reply-post to your post was more or less a tongue-in-cheek comment. :D

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
@ragamoffyn

You recently upgraded to 10.14.6, you said.

May I ask from which OS did you upgrade? In other words, what was the previous OS? I ask because the upgrade may have meant a change in the File system from HFS+ to APFS.

Also, would you mind telling us from where you downloaded 10.14.6? I don't mean to be impertinent, but knowing which site you visited to get macOS Mojave could help.

Ian

I don't remember exactly, but it was 10.14.x. And I got the download from here:

Apple - Support - Downloads

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, ragamoffyn for getting back to us.

Just to be clear: are you saying that you had macOS Mojave on your Mac before what you called an Upgrade? In other words you didn't Upgrade from Sierra or High Sierra or earlier? If so, it was an Update to a pre-existing Operating System (OS), not a new OS?

Again, there is a clear reason for asking. Any Updates to a preexisting OS would normally be obtained through the Apple Store or, more recently, via System Preferences > Software Update.

The Apple Site you linked would not be the place to go for a "new" OS because what they offer are very specific Updates to an existing OS including Combo Updates. Routine updates are generally handled as I mentioned above.

Sorry for all this trouble.

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the SMC reset. So far, so good. Thanks, all.

Big thank you to Admin chscag is due:)

Ian

PS you can probably disregard my post #12. I was typing whilst you were posting!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you, ragamoffyn for getting back to us.

Just to be clear: are you saying that you had macOS Mojave on your Mac before what you called an Upgrade? In other words you didn't Upgrade from Sierra or High Sierra or earlier? If so, it was an Update to a pre-existing Operating System (OS), not a new OS?

Again, there is a clear reason for asking. Any Updates to a preexisting OS would normally be obtained through the Apple Store or, more recently, via System Preferences > Software Update.

The Apple Site you linked would not be the place to go for a "new" OS because what they offer are very specific Updates to an existing OS including Combo Updates. Routine updates are generally handled as I mentioned above.

Sorry for all this trouble.

Ian

Ah. Yes, I updated from an earlier version of Mojave to 10.14.6, and I did it via System Preferences > Software Update. The only reason I went looking elsewhere for a downloadable install file is because I was having the reboot-on-sleep issues, and the 10.14.6 supplemental update supposedly helped with that -- but I didn't know that that update had already been rolled into whatever Software Update installed.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much for the clarification. All seems clear now.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Ah. Yes, I updated from an earlier version of Mojave to 10.14.6, and I did it via System Preferences > Software Update. The only reason I went looking elsewhere for a downloadable install file is because I was having the reboot-on-sleep issues, and the 10.14.6 supplemental update supposedly helped with that -- but I didn't know that that update had already been rolled into whatever Software Update installed.
You should keep trying System Preferences > Software Update, even if you believe there are no more updates for the OS.

OP
R
Reaction score
Patrick:

Here's what he said:

A SMC reset might cure the rebooting when sleeping. Worth a try.

Also Ian brought up an important point about Mojave reformatting his drive to APFS.

Well, it survived the night without rebooting, so fingers crossed that this worked. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I spoke too soon. It's still happening. :-/

Try doing a Shut Down and then bootup using Safe Boot Mode.
Login and then Restart normally.

Doing so may clean out an old corrupt file etc.

You may even want to try doing it more than once.

- Patrick
======

OP
R
Reaction score
Try doing a Shut Down and then bootup using Safe Boot Mode.
Login and then Restart normally.

Doing so may clean out an old corrupt file etc.

You may even want to try doing it more than once.

- Patrick
======

Sadly, I tried that twice, and the computer rebooted on the first sleep. :-(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.