How to get any file to open in the same position on display after closing

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place, so I apologize in advance:

Whenever I open my text edit files, they always open in the same place in the display; how can I get these files (or any files for that matter) to open at the display position where they're last closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Not sure if this is the right place, so I apologize in advance:

Whenever I open my text edit files, they always open in the same place in the display; how can I get these files (or any files for that matter) to open at the display position where they're last closed?

You know, that's a darned good question. I was getting aggravated by this myself the other day. I think it's something that is broken in Yosemite, because I'm sure this worked before. I just did some reading and experimenting, but nothing sticks. You can temporarily re-open a document in the previous window size/position if you use OPT-CMD-Q when quitting it the first time, but that doesn't stick for another document or even the same document when re-opening a 3rd time. There are a handful of apps available that may be of use to help here. Take a look at Flexiglass, as well as some others (see bottom of the listing on MacUpdate for "similar software").

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks; but can you tell me where the "MacUpdate" is that you're talking about? I can't find it, which means it's probably right in front of me. :)

Never mind--realized what you meant.

I don't have this problem with my third party software; just the native apps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.