How to format external drive to use with two different computers.

Reaction score
So I am looking to offload files onto a 1GB T5. Some of the files will come from an older laptop with Catalina and the others will be coming from my newer MBA with BS.
Is the best way to do this to format/partion one half for the older computer in Journaled and the newer with APFS? Or is there one format that will work for both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Is the best way to do this to format/partion one half for the older computer in Journaled and the newer with APFS? Or is there one format that will work for both?

A quick Google search provides lots of hits with solutions and answers for your question you might want to check over and make sure it applies to your situation:

This one is very precise and Mac like:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I would use APFS. It's supported by Catalina and BS. APFS has been a formatting option since High Sierra. If you will be formatting a 'traditional hard drive, APFS isn't a great choice. If you're using a machine e with an OS that pre-dates High Sierra, use HFS+

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're using a machine e with an OS that pre-dates High Sierra, use HFS+

Check the video I posted above for his comments and reasons to use HFS Plus over and above APFS formatted external drives.

SPEED is one good reason!!! 😏

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check the video I posted above for his comments and reasons to use HFS Plus over and above APFS formatted external drives.

Doesn't matter Patrick. Both Catalina and Big Sur will default to APFS when formatting an external SSD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good point, Charlie. I didn't think of that.

Patrick, I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I can say that I haven't noticed a speed drop running the Monterey beta on an SSD. That could be because the enclosure is USB 3. I'll do a bit more checking to be sure.

In situations like these, I always have to ask whether the speed drop is enough to be noticeable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't matter Patrick. Both Catalina and Big Sur will default to APFS when formatting an external SSD.

Okay, but what is a user supposed to do if they wanted to use a solid state drive for their Time Machine backup???

I'm sure I read that Time Machine will not work properly with an APFS formatted external drive and needs to use an HFS+ formatted Drive. But I I think that might have changed with Big Sur, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, it seems that Apple has created quite a formatting confusion for the average user and I think I will just leave the topic to you later macOS gurus as I doubt I will ever need to get involved with any APFS formatted drives, at least not with my current mid-2011 iMac. 😏

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I haven't had a chance to watch the video yet, but I can say that I haven't noticed a speed drop running the Monterey beta on an SSD. That could be because the enclosure is USB 3. I'll do a bit more checking to be sure.

Sly, you can see and hear his comments about his speed test at the 3:55 mark on the video, but I would tend to agree with you that the speed could certainly depend on the enclosure chips and connection method differences.

I was rather surprised to hear his related comments as my understanding is that APFS formatting tends to be faster with both internal and external SS drives, and safer.

Actually, I would be very surprised if Apple changed to the APFS format if there was any chance of it being slower than the old HFS+ and other methods.

EDIT:
These older speed tests (2017) seem rather surprising to me:

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Okay, but what is a user supposed to do if they wanted to use a solid state drive for their Time Machine backup???

I'm sure I read that Time Machine will not work properly with an APFS formatted external drive and needs to use an HFS+ formatted Drive.

Hi Patrick,

If you have been using TM for BU under HFS+ and then upgrade, you can continue using HFS+; but it is far better to start afresh in which case APFS is the default.

This has been the case for a while. Both my TM backups are APFS (as is my CCC backup).

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have been using TM for BU under HFS+ and then upgrade, you can continue using HFS+;

Thanks Ian, but that won't really affect me as I don't use Apple's Time Machine. I saw too many failures with it in its infancy and just carried on with using my CCC bootable clone backups that just worked without problems. 😏

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.