How to delete files (skip the trash)?

Reaction score
In Windows, you can shift+delete a file and it will skip the trash and be removed permanently. Surely there's some kind of shortcut key for that in Mac, but I can't figure it out. What is it?

Reaction score
To send something to the Trash:

Command + Delete

To empty the Trash:

Shift + Command + Delete

You will see a text box asking if you really want to perform this action so just hit Enter.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah. Unfortunately neither of those does what I want.. I simply want to permanently remove one file. (what if I want to remove blahblah.mp3 but don't want to empty the whole trash?)

There must be some way to do this other than going into Terminal & doing "rm -f <filename>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Not to be geeky or anything, but...

When I want to delete a file with extreme predjudice I fire up Terminal.app and to a rm -f filename

That will skip the whole trash thing. It'll also often take care of issues where you can't empty the trash because Finder thinks the file is being used or some other bogus thing like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
i did not understand how this whole droplet thing works...

could someone please elaborate on that? any pictures?

Reaction score
i did not understand how this whole droplet thing works...

could someone please elaborate on that? any pictures?

This Droplet sits on your Desktop or Dock and when you drag a file/s over it it prompts you to allow it to permanently shred the file immediately.

I've attached an image of the process.

A droplet is basically an AppleScript that has it's own icon and is activated when you drag things onto it.

If you look at Post #4 above ^^ and click on the link there, you should see a link to a .zip file of the droplet that you can download. When the download completes, click on the .zip folder and the droplet is launched. It's now ready for use and you can store it wherever suits you.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
wow!

now I got it!! thank you very much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.