How to copy file on my iMac to MB pro using terminal.

Reaction score
Been I while since i did this; got my iMac 27" and Mb Pro 13 inch, but on Yosemite, and want to copy a file from the iMac to the MBPro using the terminal application. Yes I can do it through the regular finder interface, but I'd like to do it this way -- want to get back under the hood.

I can't 'see' my mb Pro on my iMac in terminal, but I know there's a way to do it, i just forgot; once I know where the directory is I can use the commands to do this. Can anyone tell me how to get mi iMac to 'see' the connected MB Pro in terminal?

Reaction score
Look in /Volumes
That's where it mounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012; mac mini early 2014; old mac mini running centos; new macbook air; iPad;iPhone
you probably need a good unix book to check the commands.

Generally you are going to need a service such as ftp running on the devices, one as server the other as client. Often these are built-in. There other tools such as NFS ( network File Service ) and also the Apple Specific protocols.

I must admit I don't do this much on the Mac side, I find it easier to use the finder between two Apple devices

Reaction score
Um....no.
cd to the file
cp filename /Volumes/name_of_drive/Users/Your_home_folder/folder_where_you_want_it/filename
Simple.
cp file /Volumes/MyDrive/Users/craig/Documents/file

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.