How to change the default download manager?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Yosimite, 2 iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Cl. 60GB
Dear Mac experts,

I just joined your awesome forum, and im also a new Mac laptops user. I bought my MacBook air a few months ago and Im a software fanatic. I downloaded several download managers but at the end im using Folx GO. The problem now is that one of the old download managers is still used as the default one, which is already removed, and I dont know how to change it back to Folx.
Any help would be appreciated guys :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Our advice is to get rid of any download manager you may be using. it's not necessary when using OS X and will only cause problems and actually slow things down. Since you're a new Mac user, you need to re-program yourself away from Windows. ;)

And a warm welcome to our forums! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And then use your Mac's Browser like Safari and set its Preferences to save downloads to your Desktop (choose Other in its pref settings and select Desktop) rather than the default and almost buried Users Downloads folder and then deal with them accordingly.

Like Trashing them if they are just installers etc. that you can always download again later if needed. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
As the wise men said above .... there is no need for any download manager. Keep things simple.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 512GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Yosimite, 2 iPhone 5, iPad 2, iPod Cl. 60GB
Thanks a lot everyone,
but the problem still stands! Whenever i try downloading anything, i use Chrome BTW, it shows me grey page saying "Couldn't Loud Plugin." and I have to copy the link and paste it in Folx to download.
So even if I uninstalled Folx I still have the problem of no direct downloads are happening. Any ideas?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you share the link you are downloading from ?

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
For this 1 time, use the Default Safari, and see what happens. Cant hurt for 1 download.

M

MacInWin

Uninstall Chrome completely. Get rid of Foix and any other "helper" for downloads. Reboot. Then download and reinstall Chrome with NO plugins. That should eliminate the error message. But my PRIME recommendation is to use Safari, not Chrome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.