How to change apple ID on update screen

Reaction score
I just received a new (used) Macbook Pro. I got everything working and setup ok except one thing I can't figure out how to fix. When I go to "Updates" it asks for a password and the ID is already filled in and is wrong; it's the previous owners ID. How do I change it? thanks

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't change it. The previous owner will have to do that by de-authorizing the machine from his Apple ID. Are you still in touch with the former owner? The new security measures implemented by Apple are meant to prevent theft and piracy but can get in the way of honest owners. If you can't get the previous owner to de-authorize the machine from his Apple ID, give Apple customer service a call. Even if you were to erase and re-format, the serial number of the machine is assigned to his Apple ID so you would be right back to where you were before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.