How secure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Nope, I don't click on tiny urls, ever. And I use Ghostery to block the trackers and ads, so I don't see them. And any malicious links from the ads to redirect me gets blocked by either Ghostery or AdBLock, which I also use. And I don't run Flash as a general rule (Blocked by Ghostery again) although I will unblock Flash if I trust the website I am visiting. And for reference, this very page has 11 things blocked by Ghostery. (That is not a high number, I've seen it in the 30's for some sites.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Nope, I don't click on tiny urls, ever. And I use Ghostery to block the trackers and ads, so I don't see them. And any malicious links from the ads to redirect me gets blocked by either Ghostery or AdBLock, which I also use. And I don't run Flash as a general rule (Blocked by Ghostery again) although I will unblock Flash if I trust the website I am visiting. And for reference, this very page has 11 things blocked by Ghostery. (That is not a high number, I've seen it in the 30's for some sites.)

You, and I, do it. On the other hand, how many other people do it? For that matter, how many other people use NoScript and disable Flash? I'd venture to say, that the number is on the low side, mainly the techie type...

I actually use uBlock Origin, in tandem with Ghostery and NoScript; it can be a pain for accessing some site's content.

Does it really matter, when the server can track visitors by fingerprinting the browser? From the tracking perspective, probably it does not matter; the IP address and the browser fingerprint is accessible for the web server. On the other hand, it matters for protecting against malware...

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks all.

Macgig: interesting point, and reassuring.

As far as clicking on URLs, well, we all do it. Wouldn't the internet grind to a halt if we didn't? And while I know they are/can be a source of malware, just getting through life means you have to have a degree of trust. For instance, I come to this website (MacForums), and a 'solid' member offers up a URL. My 'trust' is that the site is good enough to protect its members (i.e. me), and to keep an eye on its existing members, as far as it can. There's always a chance that MacForums (or whoever) isn't doing a good job, or that the 'solid' member is a bad 'un, but really, unless I'm going to restrict my web browsing to Amazon (etc), what do I do?

It's a bit like driving. By all means drive defensively, and assume that every other road user is going to do something stupid, but you still have to drive! Unless staying at home with the door locked is really an option.

On a broader point, could browser suppliers (Firefox, Safari, Chrome, etc.) build in protection from rogue sites (and not just through the discredited certification system)?

Allen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
This just must be a gathering of former KGB Assassins!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Allen, when you see a link in the website, or most of them, if you hover over the link in Safari at the bottom of the screen will appear the real URL that the link is pointing to and to which you will go if you click. So if you, for example look at this link, you will see that it points to this post. So before you click on a link at ANY website, including this one, take a look first to see where it is going to take you. It's much like using a SatNav system in your car, you should check that the route is what you want BEFORE you set off driving.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This just must be a gathering of former KGB Assassins!

+1 and others maybe???

I was also wondering if some had strayed or got lost from their normal forensic and maybe some from their normal paranoid anonymous forums.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Allen, when you see a link in the website, or most of them, if you hover over the link in Safari at the bottom of the screen will appear the real URL that the link is pointing to and to which you will go if you click. So if you, for example look at this link, you will see that it points to this post. So before you click on a link at ANY website, including this one, take a look first to see where it is going to take you. It's much like using a SatNav system in your car, you should check that the route is what you want BEFORE you set off driving.

You know, it really is true that you learn something new every day.

Shame on me, perhaps, but I was quite unaware of the "hover over "link" in Safari - it reveals the real URL at the bottom of the screen/window" - tiny text, bottom left in my case.

I think that everything else herein posted, I was familiar with:)

Thanks Jake.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You know, it really is true that you learn something new every day.

Shame on me, perhaps, but I was quite unaware of the "hover over "link" in Safari - it reveals the real URL at the bottom of the screen/window" - tiny text, bottom left in my case.

It's quicker than my "trigger finger". It pops up before I can click it. It's just a matter of training my eyes to go down to the bottom before my brain engages my index finger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but I was quite unaware of the "hover over "link" in Safari - it reveals the real URL at the bottom of the screen/window" - tiny text, bottom left in my case.

It will show there only if it's enabled in Safari — View(menu) > Show Status Bar. (It's often disabled by default for some for some reason.)

PS: Anyone know how to enlarge the text in that Status Bar for these old eyes of mine. It would save some squinting. :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toMACsh, the real url stays as long as you hover over the link. You don't need to click on IT, you click on the link. Again, try this: Link.

Patrick, is is not required to make that setting change either. I don't have Show Status Bar set (it says Hide Status Bar) and hovering unmasks the link at the bottom of the screen. It's become a habit to always glance at that bottom corner when I am about to click a link. It has caused me to pause and rethink more than once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, is is not required to make that setting change either. I don't have Show Status Bar set (it says Hide Status Bar) and hovering unmasks the link at the bottom of the screen.

Hmmm…???
Not so in my Mavericks or El Cap'n Safari Jake and I think you'll find your Safari actually has your Status Bar enabled especially if the View menu says "Hide Status Bar". :Smirk:

Unless Safari changed something in its more recent version.

PS: It's usually disabled (hidden) on most users new Macs I've helped them setup and the reason I mentioned it.

But I sure wish I could increase the text size in the Safari Status area. This is what I get to squint at:

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 12.29.16 PM.png

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, that bar you pointed to is NOT visible that way in my HS version of Safari. The gray of the bar only goes to the end of the URL, then disappears. So there is some change between your older version and mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, that bar you pointed to is NOT visible that way in my HS version of Safari.

Thanks Jake and I figured there might be some difference and I nor anyone needing my Mac help are using macOS High Sierra.

But it seems that the option is still there from what you said:
don't have Show Status Bar set (it says Hide Status Bar)

PS: Is the font size in your Safari status bar a decent readable size — for an old eyes user? :Blushing:

The other really annoying thing Apple, and some others, insist on using, is a light grey text on a darker grey or the opposite. Both of which need greater contrast for easier reading. I guess it an "IN" thing, but it sure is annoying and often hard to read. :p

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, there are some adjustments in System Preferences, Accessibility for the way things are displayed. I won't give the details since our OSes are different, but look under the Display area there to see what can be adjusted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, there are some adjustments in System Preferences, Accessibility for the way things are displayed

Thanks Jake, I've looked and searched but haven't found a solution yet but there might be something in a Safari .plist or something, but that's getting a bit over my head.

I did come across this which I gather would be for macOS Sierra:
Safari is a great browser in macOS, but it includes one extremely handy feature that, for some reason, Apple has disabled by default: the Status Bar.
Bold mine.
https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/status-bar-safari-mac/

Heck, Apple used to have that feature disabled in many previous Safari versions I've come across. I just don't agree with their decision. But then, nothing new there!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Jake, I've looked and searched but haven't found a solution yet but there might be something in a Safari .plist or something, but that's getting a bit over my head.

Found a solution that's woking great for me:
The Minimal Status Bar Safari extension thanks to this article:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/02/25/minimal-status-bar-safari-extension/

I gather it works the same as the HS's Safari, but a larger font that suits me fine as per this screen shot:

Screen Shot 2018-01-13 at 7.55.20 PM.png

So finally a Safari Status Bar I can read easily. And its pop-up action is a nice extra benefit.

PS: I'm using Mavericks 10.9.5

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
toMACsh, the real url stays as long as you hover over the link. You don't need to click on IT, you click on the link. Again, try this: Link.

Sorry for being so imprecise. The URL pops up before I can click on the link. I'm not as fast as the computer, such that I would never see the URL because of not giving the computer enough time.

If I Hide the Status Bar, I do not see the URL at the bottom when hovering over a link.

OP
A
Reaction score
Just been trying that Safari hovering business, and nah, doesn't work for me (El Capitan), so I'll have to look into it further...

On a related point, I've been recommended Cookie Cutter as a useful extension to stop unwanted cookies hanging around. True?

Allen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.