How secure is the Mac...really?

L

louisa

Today, I was on another forum and I signed out of it. My friend, who runs the site, noted that I was stil online as a guest and that he could "ping, echo, and tracert" and also get a direct conncetion. He said that a hacker could get into my computer and wreck things.

So, what's going on? Is the Mac as secure as it's advertised? :confused:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
For someone to break in a system, they would need to know something about your system. Secondly, you as a user of an Apple product would have to make some changes in your system such that you would leave certain doors open. Most of these doors are closed by default.

A operating system is only as secure as you make it. The most secure system is the one that is still in the shipping box.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are behind a firewall you shoud be in good shape.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another little note: On my job I received about 10 to 15 security alerts a day on the average. The majority of the alerts are either for M$ or some favor of linux.

OP
M

MoltenLava

Of course anyone can ping/echo/traceroute to your machine. You are on internet where anyone can connnect to everyone. ping/echo/traceroute itself is not harmful. As long as your system has good security policy, you are in a good shape.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
louisa said:
Today, I was on another forum and I signed out of it. My friend, who runs the site, noted that I was stil online as a guest and that he
Simple trick, seeing your IP and waiting until you log off, then posting that crap. It's called a Troll

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.