How much noise is normal?

Reaction score
So I searched, found similar threads but no definite answers. Please be patient with me :)

Okay, got my new Macbook, I LOVE it but have a few questions.

1. When it boots up everytime, the DVD drive makes this strange whirling noise, is that normal? I guess it's to eject anything that might be in there, it's a bit unsettling though as this is my first Mac.

2. Occasionally, I can hear a really really quiet high hum/buzz from around the F2-F6 keys. I googled and found something about a known defect, and people found opening up Photobooth stopped it. This works for me too. There's nothing I can do about it? It's not really annoying, it's only because I've just got it obviously so I'm paranoid that everything in the notebook is in good working order etc. hehe but just like anyone with a new computer getting used to it, it's nice to double check things before I have to go worrying about them.

Otherwise, I am LOVING my new computer. It's beautiful and the OS is just exceptional. I'll never go back to Windows. Ever.

Thanks, guys,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
So I searched, found similar threads but no definite answers. Please be patient with me :)

Okay, got my new Macbook, I LOVE it but have a few questions.

1. When it boots up everytime, the DVD drive makes this strange whirling noise, is that normal? I guess it's to eject anything that might be in there, it's a bit unsettling though as this is my first Mac.

*snip snip*

I have a MacBook Pro and i get the same sound when i boot up. Is it a very short sound? I think the reason your hearing it is because the laptop has very little acoustic insulation (i.e. there is not much between the disk drive and the outside world) so you hear every whir and chug the machine makes.

My drive is particularly noisy when i put a cd in but apparently this is normal ( i rung up Apple to check cos i was as paranoid as you!:) )

Can't answer your other querey im afraid. Apologies if im totally wrong with this advice!

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, it's short, it's silent afterwards and I haven't used a disc in it yet hehe. It's when it starts up and comes out of sleep too actually, just like a loading noise.

I'm not too worried about the really quiet buzz noise, it doesn't sound wrong or like anything is broken or wrong, it just sounds like hardware and I can't hear it unless I put my ears to the keyboard really. I just like to check ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Yep thats exactly what mine does. Try installing something or copying a cd to check the drive is functioning properly.

OP
D
Reaction score
Okay, tested it. Quite a nice assortment of noises hehe but the playback is flawless, almost absolutely silent. Fantastico! I'm happy enough with that. I love the slot loading, seems so much sturdier than those pop out drawers that I feel are a little flimsy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
I wouldn't worry too much then! Don't know about question 2 though sorry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0 Ghz C2D, 2GB Ram, 160GB HDD
I also have the sound form the drive when i come form sleep or bot up. And the f2-f6 thing, have that to but only if i have used it for a long time.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah, it's very quiet and actually it comes and goes and I've had the macbook on all day today, occasionally on sleep and waking up and the machine has been perfectly silent today. I've decided not to worry about it. :)

Reaction score
same here. the superdrive is like warming up when booting up or waking up from sleep. although i havent tried installing from a cdrom, maybe ill try to copy some files from a cdrom.

i guess i dont have to worry much about it. thanks for this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
The startup noise is usual. It's on all the MB and MBP laptops - no need to worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
F2-F6 thing: "CPU Whine". It seems that with a lot of the CPUs used in macbooks/pros, if the CPU is idle (less than 4% active I believe), some people report to have heard this. To test it, open up Photo Booth and see if the whining noise goes away. It would because the CPU would be constantly active from all of the video processing.

Apple has yet to recognize this issue in my machine :(

Check this blog out

OP
D
Reaction score
^ Yup, I think that's the ticket. Over the days of usage, it's bothering me less and less, it really isn't loud unless I put my ear to the keyboard. I'm hesitant to install little scripts that will do tasks to keep my system from being idle, though, idk. So long as nothing is broken and the laptop is working well, I don't feel very bothered but it's nice to be able to identify it as something.

I think it depends how attentive the user is, though. I mentioned to my friend about it, she's had her macbook a few months and she now hates me as she hadn't noticed before and now she keeps leaning down to hear it. Oops!

Regardless, it's still the quietest, most silent laptop I've ever worked with. My room is pretty small and going from a huge beast of a cranking dinoasaur (Dell Dimension 5000) to my Macbook, I can't believe it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
The answer to your second question may be the sound of the fns working when it has been on for a while or working hard...just blowing air to cool it down.
As everyone has said, the superdrive makes a couple of strange loading type sounds when you boot up the MBP, and then stop until you load a cd.

OP
D
Reaction score
Nope, the CPU whine is definitely a different noise to the fan. Definitely more of a buzzing, higher pitched weird noise. As I said, it doesn't bother me really because if it's just a defect of the hardware, and if Apple aren't really recognising it then I'm not going to worry about it either. I gues there's plenty of Macbooks customers probably not aware of it until the picky ones like myself mention it ;) I'm just happy so long as everything works correctlyyyy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I don't have a CPU hine....maybe mine are not working......;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.