• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How many people are going to buy leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I remember in the keynote that Steve said there are 300 new features of Leopard. And he showed us 10 of them. I wonder that the other 290 are. Probabily nothing that major. But it'll be fun to go hunting around for all those little changes. My own voyage of discovery.

For that reason + others I already stated I'm getting Leopard as soon as it comes out. And of course for the new apps that will undoubtly want 10.5 post october.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Maybe. Time machine blows my mind lol It really depends on the features.

Reaction score
I'm not overly taken with it, there are some nice new features but $129 is a lot to spend for glitz. I would like to find out what all 300 new features are. I would be more apt to buy it if it will mount a Linux partition without 3rd party patches. BSD can do it no problem. Apple ought to have no trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro
I am really excited about Leopard and im pretty sure i will be getting it when it comes out. I think im going to wait awhile for the external hard drive. I really want to use the Time Machine feature and it wont work without it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I want to know if time machine can restore any previously deleted file - that surely means it's still there taking up HD space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I'll bite in October. And perhaps for the lamest of reasons... I'm a heavy iChat user, and have been waiting for the upgrades on it for ages. Sure, coverflow in finder, Time Machine, and Quick Look are the beesknees. But now? You can make it look like you're sending a hologram to Obi-Wan Kenobi, who just happens to be our only hope. And that's worth $129.00, if nothing else.

Reaction score
I want to know if time machine can restore any previously deleted file - that surely means it's still there taking up HD space?
It will take up space on the drive that you assign to Time Machine to use. If that's your local hard drive then, yeah, you'll be losing disk space to use it.

Reaction score
It will take up space on the drive that you assign to Time Machine to use. If that's your local hard drive then, yeah, you'll be losing disk space to use it.

My question is how much space though. I already have an external hard drive enclosure that I need to update to probably between 400-500 gigs, but if Time Machine is backing up everything on your hard drive is it going to take up at least 120 gigs (i.e. my hard drive size on my MBP)?

Reaction score
I'm waiting until leopard is released to buy a Mac, so I'm not technically buying leopard, but I will have it!

Reaction score
do you think its a good idea buying an MacBook, the new ones. that upgraded ones and then buying leopard....??????/ will they leave the macbook the same or will they add new stuff, like faster processors which i doubt since they only did it a like a month or two ago, but what u think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
I'm just hoping I can get it for $20 from the Penn State Computer store like I did for Tiger when it came out. Only downside is that I have to wait a few weeks to get it in.

Reaction score
do you think its a good idea buying an MacBook, the new ones. that upgraded ones and then buying leopard....??????/ will they leave the macbook the same or will they add new stuff, like faster processors which i doubt since they only did it a like a month or two ago, but what u think

?????

Reaction score
I probably won't install Leopard until at least the first update, but I may well buy it prior to that point (if I happen to be at a place that sells it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67Ghz, 512Mb RAM
I too am baffled by the TimeMachine - surely ones files must be stored somewhere?

And as for Spaces - what is that all about? What does it achieve that I cannot acheive by switching from app to app?

Like the stacks idea though. Not really worth upgrading just for that though!

I'll be waiting until I get a new Mac.

Reaction score
I too am baffled by the TimeMachine - surely ones files must be stored somewhere?
Yes, you need to specify a hard drive to store your backed up files on. It's not magic. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro, 30Gb ipod video, and python
Man, it is going to be sick when leopard comes out! I now that a lot of the features are already in use, but Tiger is just getting way to easy and leopard, even thought it is suppose to be even easier to use, I would love to have some of the newer features to play around on including the finder. That thing is nice and looks beautiful. What do you all think about Time Machine? Because for me, there is somethings that I would like to erase, but I am glad that there is something that will dig into the CPU's motherboard and fork out some documents that were erased!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
And as for Spaces - what is that all about? What does it achieve that I cannot acheive by switching from app to app?

It allows you to basically have multiple desktops to organize your work into different work areas. So, say you've got an email program and a web browser opened in one space, you can have a drawing program opened in another and a text editor in another, separate space. It helps you to avoid having a bunch of different windows overlapping one another on a single desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.