How long has this PC revolution been happening?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
I switched because I edit video. The mac OS gives me more stability, funcionality and of course, industry software a PC just cannot provide.

I have had custom build edit machines that have cost more than the top spec imac and just as much as a mac pro which cannot even touch the mac for what I need.

Never, ever ever going back to the dreaded windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.0GHz
I've just bought an Intel based Mac Mini (not sure what regular-Mac users make of them) and I love it.

I think what puts most people off is the cost of a Mac (or the belief that a Mac is still very expensive) compared to a mass-produced el-cheapo Vista machine from a retail store.

I found the Mac mini very tempting due to its design & spec and also it didn't break the bank. Also I am a XP fan and Microsoft are "making life difficult" so to speak and I don't really like Vista much. I also couldn't get on with learning or using the various Linux distros I tried so a Mac was the perfect choice - a combination of hassle free hardware and software design.

It also seems that at last Mac OS can give you almost, if not everything or an equivilant to what Windows can, given a few exceptions, notably DirectX/Windows only games.

I will still keep the PC handy for my games and also the software I bought which is Windows only. Perhaps eventually I will put Bootcamp to use or choose a VM program but it isn't really worth bothering since I have the PC anyway.

Reaction score
I am in the process of saving for an iMac and I can't wait to get it. I used a Mac years ago at a previous job and I enjoyed using it. Since then, I have used PC's both at home and at work. I had built/assembled the last few computers for the house. All of the computers I built had integrated graphics. I didn't think I needed the extra horsepower that comes with a graphics card. I didn't want all of the trial software and unnecessary software that comes on a store bought PC.

A couple of months ago, I realized I never upgrade the computers I built, I don't play games on the computer and I'm not a power user. We use the internet, use the MS Office software and Quicken. With 3 kids (all girls) in the house and with the home video and photos we have accumulated over the years, a Mac would be the perfect computer for our family. My wife isn't the most technologically advanced person in the world, so a Mac would probably be an easy adjustment for her. I anticipate having the PC still in use after the Mac arrives, but my guess is that the Mac will get more use than the PC will.

I will be going to MacWorld with some Mac-using friends of mine next week. I can't wait to walk the show and see all of the goodies they have on display!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
About 3 or 4 years ago; I just got sick of Windows - it was giving me lots of stupid little problems - not virus or adware/spyware rubbish just stupid Windows problems.

I'd used Linux/UNIX a few times throughout my time at uni and decided to play with Linux - partly for something new to do (geek...) and partly to get away from Windows.

I loved Linux and used it for pretty much 100% of home computing.

Then something required me to go back to Windows for a while, I stayed using Windows and all those little niggling problems started coming back to ruin my computing time so again I went back to Linux. I'd only just done an install of ubuntu I think and suddenly needed something that wasn't going to work easily in Linux - that was kind of the breaking point for me - I wanted something better than Windows but didn't want all the challenges that come with Linux.
---
I'd actually wanted a Mac since about 2000 when one of my IT support roles brought one into the office so we could get to grips with some new software we were rolling out - over the next few years Macs looked better each time I saw them and the prices were dropping fairly often as well - this combined with the Windows 'disgust' and not quite total satisfaction from Linux pushed me to my MacBook in early 2007 - AND I LOVE IT.

I now use Windows XP, 2K & 2003 only for work, hardly ever use Linux and sold my Vista machine to my sister - I, like a couple of other posters, don't dislike Vista - I just prefer my Mac - and love Leopard.

Oh and Windows Media Player 11 - tried using it at my sisters just the other day - I felt like throwing the computer out of the window!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A lot of sense has seemed to condense itself into this thread

Ok, ok, well I see it this way. A work station of PCs in an office would need a lot more work to keep the network going than an Mac based one. So the Mac network wouldn't need as many it support staff to maintain the computer network

True, but the smart companies could keep their IT staff. The IT department could then release people from fixing problems and troubleshooting, to strategic IT projects that could make the business more competitive

Unfortunately, those bean counters make decisions based on the current year's budget. They don't often look forward past the following year. Have to keep the shareholders happy with their short-term gains...

Even in the 1990s there were various cost of use studies where the Mac had clear advantages, but try telling accountants that, or mangers that are focused on this year's bonus

I've just bought an Intel based Mac Mini (not sure what regular-Mac users make of them) and I love it.

Us old Mac hands love em, they are Macs after all

Right, that's me done, just gonna read MacHeadCase's article link

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Hehe I've read on the net that they are saying Vista is the best advertisement for switching (not to mention they say vista works better on a mac), but I also imagine XP and the previous instabilities and pitfalls of MS OSes has been chipping at it too. Most ppl I know tend to go on about the lack of need for virii protection for mac and tend to only use it because the puter communicates with PC, the same is with firewalls. And as has been mentioned, most develop thier more creative (and focussed) talents using mac, while with PC you spend more time dealing with it to work rather than working with the programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
Most ppl I know tend to go on about the lack of need for virii protection for mac and tend to only use it because the puter communicates with PC, the same is with firewalls.

I have to disagree about the firewall. Macs may be inherently immune to viruses, but they can still suffer DOS and intrusion attacks. No modern OS is likely going to be completely safe, and a firewall sitting between you and the Internet can help keep you safe...

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome MacHeadCase. I am looking forward to going to MacWorld this year. The people I am going with this year have attended the conference for years and I have always been envious of them going. I never paid attention to when MacWorld was happening each year, so I never asked to go with them. It should be fun.

I haven't considered switching to Vista from XP. I don't make many changes on the computer at home for fear of the computer problems that might happen, especially when I am at work and the family is at home trying to use the computer.

I am wanting a computer that my wife can learn how to use and feel productive using, and a computer that I can easily preserve my family videos and photos. I think I can accomplish both of these goals with one computer...a Mac!!!

Reaction score
i switched for these reasons
1) I despised Windows, XP annoyed me, Vista made me sick
2) OS X Leopard is POSIX compliant and is a full UNIX OS, being an amateur operating system developer, this is extremely important
3) I needed something new, something more advanced than Linux but fast and easy to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
2. "There are unused icons on your desktop"

This stupid cartoon bubble seems to think that:
A) I give a
B) You already know that but you can't disable me

My XP box is still unplugged but I will need to get files from it eventually.

To add insult to injury, mine always pops up the bubble twice, and on several different machines/VMs, too. Those bubbles are just intrusive and annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Originally Posted by drh3010
2. "There are unused icons on your desktop"

This stupid cartoon bubble seems to think that:
A) I give a
B) You already know that but you can't disable me.
When I log into Windows XP, it insists on telling me that there's a wireless network that I can connect to. Well I know that... it's mine. I'm just connected by wire instead and don't need to connect to wireless. But that doesn't stop Windoze from popping up that balloon every time I log in and periodically since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of memory
When I log into Windows XP, it insists on telling me that there's a wireless network that I can connect to. Well I know that... it's mine. I'm just connected by wire instead and don't need to connect to wireless. But that doesn't stop Windoze from popping up that balloon every time I log in and periodically since.

Thus why I disabled the device in Windows, that indeed does get annoying

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
To add insult to injury, mine always pops up the bubble twice, and on several different machines/VMs, too. Those bubbles are just intrusive and annoying.

Oh I think a nerve has been hit here with a lot of us. Even more annoying to me than the "unused icon" alert is the sodding "you must reboot because AVG has downloaded an update" message. I close it and five minutes later it's back.

I hope for those unfortunate souls who must stick with Windows, that a less intrusive annoyance has been put into Vista...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.