How keep Mac from sleeping

Reaction score
I have a subscription to back up my files Carbonite, and whenever my Mac goes to sleep, the backup stops, and I have to restart it when I "wake" the Mac up. It happens whether I shut the lid or leave it open. Any advice will be appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like your post has been added. Now let's see if we can provide you with an answer.

I have a subscription to back up my files Carbonite, and whenever my Mac goes to sleep, the backup stops, and I have to restart it when I "wake" the Mac up. It happens whether I shut the lid or leave it open. Any advice will be appreciated.

There are several utilities which can keep your Mac awake: The one I'm most familiar with is "Caffein" a small free app which will prevent your Mac from sleeping while you're uploading to the Carbonite server. Download from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay, maybe I am lucky or just didn't know any better but can't you just go into system preferences -> energy saver and uncheck everything under power adapter but wake for wifi and that should keep it awake. I have uploaded to youtube videos that take 3-5 hours (they are long videos) and it never fails. I don't shut the lid either.

If what I am doing is not supposed to work I won't tell my MB Pro - she might find out!

Lisa

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for your due diligence to looking into this. Seems all is as it should be. I will try the app.

It looks like your post has been added. Now let's see if we can provide you with an answer.

There are several utilities which can keep your Mac awake: The one I'm most familiar with is "Caffein" a small free app which will prevent your Mac from sleeping while you're uploading to the Carbonite server. Download from here.

OP
P
Reaction score
I will try this first before I download the app another has suggested. Thank you.[

QUOTE=lclev;1617224]Okay, maybe I am lucky or just didn't know any better but can't you just go into system preferences -> energy saver and uncheck everything under power adapter but wake for wifi and that should keep it awake. I have uploaded to youtube videos that take 3-5 hours (they are long videos) and it never fails. I don't shut the lid either.

If what I am doing is not supposed to work I won't tell my MB Pro - she might find out!

Lisa[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use Caffein because of the ease in which to turn it on and off.

Reaction score
You can go into System Preferences and stop the computer from sleeping but just let the display sleep.
Shouldn't stop the backup process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Just a bit OT here and I know the OP didn't ask, but beside the sleep issue, they might want to check that their Carbonite backup is actually working properly and for all files etc. needed, and are they actually recoverable.

Just saying…. but best to check anyway.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
On line backup in general should always be verified as stated above by member "pm-r". I'm not a fan of on line backup because it's so slow especially when backing up a large amount of data. You may have a fast connection but the bottleneck is usually the server itself accepting the data and placing it in the proper account.

OP
P
Reaction score
I'm only using online backup until i can get a larger EHD and use Time Machine.

On line backup in general should always be verified as stated above by member "pm-r". I'm not a fan of on line backup because it's so slow especially when backing up a large amount of data. You may have a fast connection but the bottleneck is usually the server itself accepting the data and placing it in the proper account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.