How do you clean the dust out of the imac?

Reaction score
I was wondering because I haven't gotten an imac yet, but on my PC when the dust builds up I can take the back off and blow it out. Can this be done on the imac? Even they cannot be immune to the dust that gets into the cooling fans and other internal items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You could try with a can of compressed air. It should get at least some of the dust out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
YA know, I have never looked at the back of my wife's iMac, I probably should, so I'm not sure to be honest.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just wonder because whenever the back of a PC is taken off you kind of wonder how much extra heat built up due to the dust. In the imac, everything is much more tightly confined so I would think keeping them clean would be a good idea.

M

MacHeadCase

If the Intel-based iMac's casing is exactly the same as my iMac G5, there is a round air vent in the back of the computer. We live, for the time being, in a very dusty apartment so once in a while I'll use the compressed air to get the dust out. It comes out at the top, pushed by the fans, there is an exhaust air slot.

OP
M
Reaction score
So, you just blow the compressed air into the air intake slot/hole?

M

MacHeadCase

Yep that's what I do. Besides I've heard they're pretty hard to take apart.

I guess you could google and see if there are any instructions on how to take it apart if you're worried though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not really worried just asking. If you have a good design and smooth laminar (non-turbulent) airflow, the dust shouldn't be able to collect on much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
The way computers are designed they draw air in from outside and in so doing, they suck in dust also. Gets into evrything and I think over the years it would be the reason I have had hard drive and cd drive failures. Keep it off the floor will make a big difference. Just be carful to earth/ground yourself if pulling covers of because even the smallest static electrity can kill things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I just took my iMac out of the basement office into the upstairs. I was sorta concerned by dust/soot after plugging in the power cord - and noticed the air inlet. It had black dust on it. So I'd say cleaning it out would be a good idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.