How do you access an iTunes library from Music

Reaction score
I have a 5Tb iTunes Library on an external HD. It works fine from iTunes. Now I want to use Music under Ventura. I tried the obvious of opening Music while holding down the option key and clicking the Choose Library button. I then navigate to Music, then Music/iTunes then Music/iTunes/iTunes Media and in every case the Choose button is not active. What do I need to do?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Crap! My apologies. I had to select the .itl file. That seems to work.

@ rbpeirce
Thank you very much for mentioning that you used the iTunes library.itl file to select your iTunes/Music.

I have been slowly recovering from a nasty iMac crash and I could not get all my music in my original iTunes library to show or work, even following Apple's suggested procedure and some others I was still left with a lot of music missing and eventually tried the option key and boot iTunes to select the iTunes library, and finally when I selected and used the iTunes library.itl file, nearly all my old music became available.

So thank you very much for mentioning and suggesting using it, and it worked unlike most of the other suggestions, including Apple's.

For some odd reason, most of my album cover artwork is missing since my iTunes music recovery, and the majority of my iTunes music is not from the iTunes Store but that didn't make any difference when I was running Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.
I am now trying to get everything working in El Capitan as the attempt to install High Sierra was the cause for wiping my boot Drive plus two backup Drives with some recovery attempts.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for mentioning using the iTunes library.itl file when selecting which iTunes library to use.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.