How do I uninstall programs in Os X?

W

wahdiatme

If I want to uninstall a program do I need to drag it to the trash can? Or is there a way, like in windows, that i have to go to add/remove programs?

also, i put a program in the trash can adn when i hit empty trash, i get a message that says "the operation cannot be completed because the item 'FT (then a whole lot of letters and numbers)' is in use..why wont it empty on out?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
All you do is drag the application to the trash and go into the library and any folder for that programs prefernces you can delete.

Try restarting and then emptying trash or go to Finder/Secure Empty Trash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
trpnmonkey41 said:
Try restarting and then emptying trash or go to Finder/Secure Empty Trash

You don't need to restart, (though that would work) just log out and log back in. Some part of that program is still running, and accessing a file in the trash. Logging out will clear that up.

It's also not strictly necessary to do anything other than deleting the application. Remove the support files from /Library if it makes you feel better, but they don't take up much space, and don't cause any trouble if you leave them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
rebz said:
livetype takes up like 8 gigs in the library, so you decide ;)

Yeah, there are some programs that abuse the Library like that. At least with Livetype, you can move that stuff out of /Library and put it somewhere more sensible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.