how do I partition my new T7?

Reaction score
I want to partition my new Samsung T7 SSD, but the "partition" in disk utility is greyed out.
What is the procedure for accessing the partition feature?
Also, what's the correct format APFS? Journaled?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Info here

As far as APFS, Journaled goes, if you intend to use this drive only with macOS, then APFS is fine. If you intend to share with any other OS, then EXTFS is your best option.

Reaction score
I think you need to format it first. As I recall these come formatted for Windows, altho I cold be wrong. APFS is the way to go for Mac. Once formatted you can physically partition the disk into multiple disks [containers] as far as the OS is concerned or you can create multiple volumes in the single container. I've done both depending on need. Actually I've done physical partitioning and added volumes to the separate containers. APFS is very flexible in this regard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ty both for these replies. I got it formated and partioned and copied over 130Gb of data from my T5. The one thing I noticed, the T7 got quite warm during this process. Is this unusual?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, the SSDs will get warm with heavy use especially writes. Reads tend to be less of an issue.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree, my T5 can get very warm during large file transfers, indeed all SSD's do this to some degree. I transferred a couple of movies to a USB thumb drive the other day, around 10GB and it got very hot. I try to sit my T5 in a position where air can circulate around it rather than sitting flat on a desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.