How do I move files OFF Onedrive to my Mac hard drive?

Reaction score
I'm a relatively new Mac user. I created a couple of files and saved them to Onedrive, not understanding what I was doing. Now I understand that Onedrive is located out there in the cloud somewhere, and I don't feel safe about that. I want to move my files off Onedrive and onto my Macs hard drive. Can't figure out how to do that though. Thanks for any help.

M

MacInWin

Open Onedrive by double clicking on the icon. (It may be on your desktop, or wherever you located it.) Find the file you want, click, drag and drop to the desktop, or whatever folder you want it to go into. You can open Finder to get to the folder you want as destination.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks, but ahhh, were it only so easy; like the Macs of yesteryear. The only way I can access these files is by opening the application (excel), and then opening the document. When I do that, the document downloads from OneDrive. Ugh. There is no dragging/dropping these files. Simply does not work. Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Don't know why not...however, open the file in Excel, "Save as" wherever you want it.

M

MacInWin

I tested it just now and it worked perfectly. I opened Onedrive, selected a file, dragged/dropped to my desktop, opened it there, then closed it and dragged/dropped it back in Onedrive. If it's not working for you, then something is amiss in your installation.

EDIT: You can use cradom's approach, but that will leave the older version on Onedrive. If your objective is to NOT have any files on Onedrive, you'll need to get it sorted out so that drag/drop works properly for you. NOTE: the Onedrive icon appears as a folder, because to the OS it is a folder that is then synced up to the cloud. So don't go looking for a drive, look for a folder called Onedrive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.