How do I get rid of the annoying thunk thunk sound?

Reaction score
I'm completely converted over to my new MacPro and I love it. I do have a question.

I un-checked the "play user interface sound effect" but I'm still getting an annoying thunk, thunk sound. It doesn't seem to be specific to any application. Is there a way to turn this off?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Hh... just avoid doing things that make the noise? Its just like that annoying windows "ping" that you hear when you clicked on the wrong item, or tried a keyboard shortcut that wasnt supported by the program youre using.

Is that the "thunk, thunk" you're talking about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PM G4 Dual 867, 1gb, 160gb
Open the case and let the monkey out, or at least take his hammer away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I'm completely converted over to my new MacPro and I love it. I do have a question.

I un-checked the "play user interface sound effect" but I'm still getting an annoying thunk, thunk sound. It doesn't seem to be specific to any application. Is there a way to turn this off?

Thanks

Have you restarted your computer or at least relaunched Finder since changing the setting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
If you don't know how to relaunch finder, go to the apple menu then to force quit and click on finder then click relaunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I can't think what goes "thunk, thunk" - what do you do to cause it?

M

MacHeadCase

Well till the OP lets us in on a bit more detail... I hope it isn't his hard drive going crazy like that? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
Open the case and let the monkey out, or at least take his hammer away.

+Huzz.... Oh wait, the rep system is back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
The "Thunk, Thunk" is probably "Funk", a system sound.

Your setting probably are having a hard time taking effect and you should restart the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
No, I think it is something different. Finder plays a sound when it does certain operations (unfortunately I am not at my Mac so I can't say which ones) and it can be annoying. I too tried to figure out how to disable it when I first got my Mac (almost exactly a year ago now!). I eventually gave up and have just learned to ignore it. If anyone has any ideas, let us all know.

Meantime, I love the idea of opening the case and letting the monkey out!! :dive:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.