how do i erase media player

E

eatinwokout

Anyway I bought my first Apple product, an iBook g4 with OS X panther. And for the record, I would just like to admit that I have never had comuting so easy. These macs are so simple and easy to understand. I should have made thise switch years ago. But anyway, I have a problem. I know that to erase programs or files I just drag them to the trash icon on the dock. So I decided i didnt want the Microsoft media player on my perfect mac, hex microsoft. So i dragged the program and folder from applications to the trash. Then when I tried emptying the trash it said it was unable to because the files within where locked. So I prompted it to continue anyway, but then found out that the program and folder had not been deleted. Sooo, I dragged the folder(with media player within), back to applications because I wasn't able to empty the trash with it in it. I had other files dragged to trash after trying to delete the player and was unable to delete other files with the media player in it.

Has that stupid microsoft program messed up my perfect iBook? How do I get rid of that **** program?

Oh when I try and open the media player it unexpectedly quits. So now I just have it sitting in my applications folder taking up space and annoying me.

Any help please?

OP
M

malt

eatinwokout said:
Anyway I bought my first Apple product, an iBook g4 with OS X panther. And for the record, I would just like to admit that I have never had comuting so easy. These macs are so simple and easy to understand. I should have made thise switch years ago. But anyway, I have a problem. I know that to erase programs or files I just drag them to the trash icon on the dock. So I decided i didnt want the Microsoft media player on my perfect mac, hex microsoft. So i dragged the program and folder from applications to the trash. Then when I tried emptying the trash it said it was unable to because the files within where locked. So I prompted it to continue anyway, but then found out that the program and folder had not been deleted. Sooo, I dragged the folder(with media player within), back to applications because I wasn't able to empty the trash with it in it. I had other files dragged to trash after trying to delete the player and was unable to delete other files with the media player in it.

Has that stupid microsoft program messed up my perfect iBook? How do I get rid of that **** program?

Oh when I try and open the media player it unexpectedly quits. So now I just have it sitting in my applications folder taking up space and annoying me.

Any help please?
You could maybe just open terminal.app, change into that folder, or the folder above it, then type "sudo rm -r the/path/to/that/directory". That should kill it. THen you can use finders search function to find all the files media player craps out on your hard drive. Hope that works.
:D

OP
S

StarManta

Right or control click on the folder, choose Get Info. There's a checkbox (under Permissions I think) that I find is sometimes checked against my will :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
I was having the same problem. What I did was right or control click on the media player application itself and choose Show Package Contente and brows around and unlock all locked files by control clicking on them, Get Info, and make sure Locked is unchecked. Locked files will also have a small lock on the lower left side of the icon. There were a lot of files for me, most of which were html help files in all the different languages, and just trying to unlock a folder didn't work but it didn't take too long. And now media player is gone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.