How do I delete a Company Configuration?

Reaction score
Hi all, thank you for accepting me into the group.

A bit of background story first, I started a Graphic Design diploma with a company called Careers Australia and they supplied a MacBook Air for me to work on as part of the package. Now that company has since gone into voluntary administration as of April last year and all students have been left with these MacBooks.

My issue is, I'm now getting a pop-up message telling me I must renew my credentials to continue to access the company resources. There is no company to contact anymore so is there any way to get rid of the companies configurations on the Macbook? or am I doomed after 24/02/2018? :\

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 4.38.49 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 4.38.58 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 4.35.53 pm.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It all depends on how the company had those MacBook Air machines configured. Usually, when a company lends out machines to employees or in your case students, they lock the firmware to the company with special software provided by Apple. There's no way to overcome that without access to whatever software "Careers Australia" used to configure those MacBook Airs.

It is possible that they didn't do anything special except run a program to install a certificate to allow use of the machine for a duration of time. When the certificate expires, you may be able to erase and format the machine and then install your own copy of macOS and proceed to use it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, let's just hope for the later!

"Install my own copy of MacOS?" where do I get that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, let's just hope for the later!

From the Mac App Store. You already have the Mac App Store application on your MacBook Air. It's a free download, however, you will need an Apple ID and password.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Assuming this isn't an ancient MacBook Air...you can also boot into the Recovery Partiton...and click on "Reinstall macOS". As chscag mentioned...at some point you will probably need your Apple ID & password...and if you don't have one...set one up.

To boot into the Recovery Partition:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks Nick,

It is an early 2015 model. I do have an apple Id as I also have an iPhone and iMac :) Am I able to reinstall MacOS now? or should I wait till after Feb 24th when the certificate expires?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Since you can't access anything with the certificate, waiting is only of benefit if you can't reinstall OS X.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Since you can't access anything with the certificate, waiting is only of benefit if you can't reinstall OS X.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,
I have full access to everything on this computer at the moment. The problem will arise on the 24th Feb.

So, if I was to just do it now before the certificate expires, will I erase the certificate by reinstalling OS X? or will the certificate still be there due to it not expiring?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you download the installer and create a bootable USB thumb drive with DiskmakerX, then you can boot from that USB drive and erase the entire hard drive. That will erase everything. This works, assuming that the company didn't add any other security to the system. Re-read post #2 above where chscag refers to that possibility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.