how do I add IPs to the mac os firewall?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
is their a way? Im using the bluejeans app for video conferencing, its been having playback issues. their help document says I need to add IPs to my firewall allowed list I guess? I know I can allow apps but its not an app its done in the browser... how do I unblock tcp/udp ports on mac?

looks like I can maybe add the IPs to my firewall at the router level. but I have no idea what im doing and don't want to mess something up. surely don't want to make my mac less secure. :/

BlueJeans Support Center

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Just turn off the firewall on the Mac. You don't really need it unless you take your Mac out to an unprotected location, like a coffee shop, and connect to their network. In you own home, if you have a passworded security setup on the router, that's all you need.

Having said that, you may still need to add something to your router to allow bluejeans to work. I'm not familiar with bluejeans at all. Maybe someone using it will chime in.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I'll second Jake, turn off the firewall on your Mac and the firewall on your router isn't managed, meaning you aren't using a whitelist of addresses to control connections.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
cool thanks. I've always had the mac firewall ON for decades, assuming it was helping to protect me? but you're saying it really does not? Im new to bluejeans also, and I've never tried messing with the firewall much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you have a router from your ISP, it has (99.9%) a firewall in it, and the pass wording system to log into your router then provides security. If you take your Mac out, as I said, and connect to a strange network, then you need the firewall on the Mac to protect you. (Such as it is. Firewalls aren't terrifically secure. If you really need security in an alien network, use a VPN.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.